close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

turkey time?

Discussion in 'Indiana Turkey Hunting' started by ddw, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Is anyone getting as excited about turkey season as i am??? now that deer season is behind us and with the warm weather...i am ready to go now...i've been seeing alot of birds here in southern indiana and have even seen several birds strutin' already...wouldn't be suprised if a person was out on one of those mild mornings to here a couple of gobbles...

2. Getting excited to turkey hunt in Kentucky starting April 13, when Indiana's season should start, not the 25th. Plenty of birds in Southern IN, again.

3. None right around me, but I saw a group of no less than 15 just off of US 30 between Larwill and Piercton earlier this week. Almost wrecked the truck rubber-necking...

4. Already carrying my mouth calls in my pocket! Sold my 835 to a buddy after he got his first bird with it last spring. Trying to find a turkey barrel for my Encore for this spring. You are right about the season opening up late. I fish alot of Bass tournaments in the spring and I see Turkey Strut'n in March and early April all the time while fishing or on my way to and from the lake, gets me pumped up! I had two close calls on a Gobbler this fall with my bow, they didn't give me a good shot, so I didn't chance it. Did you guys Turkey hunt this fall?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  5. Gobble, Gobble, men! I have watched 4 videos already, and am starting to make a custom box call. Also have already picked out a couple different birds.

I too will be in KY come early April. Hoping to go to South Dakota as well.

Hey ddw do you hunt in Jasper. I hunt Pike Co. (sorry but born and raised there) Live in Columbus IN now.

6. Hey ddw do you hunt in Jasper. I hunt Pike Co. (sorry but born and raised there) Live in Columbus IN now.[/quote]

i live north of jasper...have property both in NE dubois co. and martin co...just took a job in perry co. so during my long commute plenty of time to rubberneck the fields...was thinking of doing a do-it-myself hunt to ky this spring as well any advice????

7. It'll be here before you know it.

I've been seeing plenty of birds around my hot spots.:biggrin:

8. Let us know how your box turns out! I'd like to try making one.

9. yes i can't wait for that 1st gobble. been seeing plenty of birds. if i don't get rained out i'll be out this weekend scoutin some new territory. also thinkin about hunting ky. plenty of birds there. you guys who muzzel load and want a do it your self hunt try the danial boone nat'l forest area. they have a primitive weopons area there that entails over 100,000 acres. beautiful campgrounds and sits right by cave run lake full of muskie, ky, spotted bass, and crappie. plenty of birds too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  10. i live north of jasper...have property both in NE dubois co. and martin co...just took a job in perry co. so during my long commute plenty of time to rubberneck the fields...was thinking of doing a do-it-myself hunt to ky this spring as well any advice????[/quote]

Sorry not much help besides what scrapewathcer said about DB national forest. I lucked into some private ground that i hunt.

11. Will do! Going to use Mahogany for the base and maybe a Cherry lid.

12. Sorry not much help besides what scrapewathcer said about DB national forest. I lucked into some private ground that i hunt.[/quote] howdy neighbor!! i live in daviess co just across the martin co line. out by boggs lake. north of loogootee.

13. good to hear from some of my southern brothern....i'll look into the ky information...thanks!

14. i tell you the db nat'l forest is great hunting. i'm from this part of the state and it's one of the most beautiful places you'll find. other than the campground and lake you will be in the wilderness for sure. you might even see a bear. the campgrounds are second to none. you can also try land between the lakes but the birds get worked alot. high pressure. also the grayson lake area in eastern ky. has a lot of public land around the lake but is steep and hilly but lots of birds and little pressure. went there 2 yrs. ago called in a couple birds. missed one, one hung up. i tell ya now i'm really gettin fired up for gobblers.

15. Been seeing plenty across the road from my house, where I don't have permission...:banghead3