close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turned Down Again

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by cteders, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Does anyone know what the odds are of getting selected in one of the DNR's reserved pheasant hunts? I haven't hunted birds that long (2yrs) but I just received my "Sorry you were not picked again this year" letter from the DNR. Any advice on how to get selected or am I just unlucky?

2. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

I haven't been picked since '93. My cousin got picked this year so I'll have at least one day of hunting there.

3. This Is My First Try And I Got Picked For Nov. 10th , Just Have To Be Lucky!!!!!

4. I believe the program is about 25 years old and i have applied every year. I have been drawn one time. Fortunately I have a lot of friends who drag me along when they get drawn so I've actually been 6 times in 25 years. It can be the best hunting you will ever see in Indiana.

Jack

5. Who do you have to sleep with to get pick for any hunt in this state.:banghead3

6. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

We suggested to the DNR if you get picked one year, you have to sit out the next...that would allow more people to get in on the draws (some people seem to get picked every year)....with the computer system they have now, they could kick out the winners for the next year.

As Jack said, you'll never see as many birds...problem is, when one goes up, 50-100 will go up, so be careful how you hunt these properties.

Quiet.

7. My goodness how things have changed. Back when I was a Kid - late 60's and early 70's we used to hunt for stocked pheasants at Pigeon River. Dad knew where the pheasant dump site was for one of the sections and we would head right over. 1st come - 1st serve - it was free. Dad and us 3 boys would all get a limit. The beagle would even catch 1 or 2. One time we "had to" shoot one out of a tree because it wouldn't flush. :biggrin: Good times - Great memories :)

8. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

The pheasant in the tree....this happens all the time during put and take....we always talk the rookie into shooting it out of the tree.....then, we never let him forget he shot a poor pheasant out of a tree.

9. never been picked, they see the name and into the trash it goes...j/k.

I have heard that you have less than a 1:40 chance for a weekend date. Less than 1:30 for weekday.

10. Dear John Letter

Yep I got mine too. It's rigged lol, it has to be. I can't even remember how many years I have applied, but I can remember that I have never been selected. They said to try again next year. When I do I think I will use my credit card number instead of my license number and see if that helps. I didn't see a box any where to check to make a donation to Kyle or I would have. OK I am done venting.

Jeff

11. i would try my luck at a put take hunt. least you will be in the field.

12. Reserved hunts

I have been picked one time in 7 years, and my son has been picked twice in 7 years. The spots we have hunted have been good. The birds were plentiful.

I was told a few years back by a conservation officer that there are generally 2200 +/- applications for 230 +/- hunts. So if you get chosen/picked consider yourself lucky. That's all I know that it is.

13. Put-and take are fun me and the kid will do it at least once this year if not more.:)

14. ccavacini

ccavacini Super Mod Mod

Signed up for three of them after Thanksgiving...great for the dogs and people who don't get out much.