close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turnips

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by indylandon, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Would turnips be a good cover plot for clover? I was planning on mixing it in when I go to seed. Just wanting some opinions

2. side slapper will say yes....

scott werstler will say no...

the debate continues...hahahahaha

3. turnips tend to be a starvation food where I hunt..

4. Turnips...they taste great with salt and pepper on them. Did you all know that the Germans "created" turnips for WWI Troops? They are a cross between several cultivated vegetables. I'm bein' serious here too.....

5. I was thinkin I could just dig some up when I'm hunting. Maybe after a morning hunt for lunch. Could use the clover for a salad

6. bean sprouts too please...

7. NO.......:bonk:

I would Not recommend using turnips........

I have ALWAYS used oats when doing an Aug. / Sept. clover planting. The oats will die out over the winter, and leave a THIN ground cover in the spring. This will help control erosion and help hold the small plants, but still break down very quick.......AND....... deer love oats

Turnips have a thick wide leaf, which may mat down on the ground and choke out the clover......IF you have deer like.......... SCOTT..........

The deer in my area love turnips.........Some say deer won't eat turnips.......:coco:

The picture is from one of this years plots......Turnips are not the only thing I plant........Its just one of the things I plant.........

[​IMG]

8. Thanks sideslapper. Think I might do a 1/2 acre clover and 1/2 turnips.

9. Slapper is absolutely on the right track with the oats......... Some deer will eat turnips and some won't - even on the same property. Turnips do stay around for quite awhile, but seem to impede spring growth due to their broad leaves. I plant them sporadically (in the late spring), and they work great! Not sure about this late. Never tried it.

10. Hey guys, make sure you plant a cold hardy oat and not "Bob" Oats. This way they'll last longer into the cold weather season. Bob Oats won't...

11. I too was going to try oats this year...local ag guy/hunter swears by them.

12. Don't waste your money on Bob oats....please!!!!!

13. Whats ......"Bob oats" ?????....... :coco:

14. Generic Oats. For a fall plot for whitetails, you should plant cold hardy oats. There's a tremendous difference.