Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they're not huge by most standards, but I had my last two bucks officially scored for the Hoosier Book this last week. Both were taken by shotgun within 1/4 mile of my rural home.

2004 Buck - 155 4/8" Gross; 152 6/8" Net

2005 Buck - 151 1/8" Gross; 148 1/8" Net

I've been deer hunting for 10 years and have been fortunate to take 8 bucks:

Two 2 1/2 year olds
Four 3 1/2 year olds
Two 4 1/2 year olds (or older?)

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
M4Madness...Congrats!!! 2 very nice bucks.

treehugger

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Nice ones!!!

I'm not sure whos standards you are going up against but they must not know a good buck when they see one. Awesome bucks M4.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome bucks.......but I agree with Bocephus. When I shot the only HRBP entry that I have, I looked like that guy Bob from the Enzyte commercials. Smiling from ear to ear for days.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Hey Silverdog, I just saw one of those commercials today. Old Bob was coming out of a swimming pool and his scivvvies fell off. How the heck could that happen if he had a full "Enzyte" Grissle??? He was sporting a sweet tan too.(Whiter than Casper the Ghost!!) Have you seen it??

the best part of it was that this African American lady was staring at his lower unit like it was huge...use your imagaination on this one fellas!!!!!!

Did you take the Enzyte the morning before the kill???

"Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silverdog, I just noticed that you aren't even a half hour from me. Do you ever put in for the Crane deer hunts?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Not everyone smiles over an HRBP entry

Not everyone Joe. But urnest hunters do. I could go my whole life and take nothing but 140s, I'd be tickled silly. Go to SE Iowa and see how the locals there feel about 140s. They don't even consider shooting bucks unless they're at least 160+. Wouldn't that be awesome to have so many mature bucks around that you could pass up 140-150s and let them grow another year or so?? Hell, a good doe makes me smile, because all I can think about is getting those straps on the grill. ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dean Weimer said:
Not everyone Joe. But urnest hunters do. I could go my whole life and take nothing but 140s, I'd be tickled silly. Go to SE Iowa and see how the locals there feel about 140s. They don't even consider shooting bucks unless they're at least 160+. Wouldn't that be awesome to have so many mature bucks around that you could pass up 140-150s and let them grow another year or so?? Hell, a good doe makes me smile, because all I can think about is getting those straps on the grill. ;)
Great point Dean..........

When we have a trophy behind every tree, they are NO LONGER TROPHIES!

Those are some nice deer M4Madness, you have been blessed!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are some nice deer M4Madness, you have been blessed!
Blessed is definitely the correct word, as I'm sure God had a hand in bringing these bucks to me.

The second biggest reason is that I'm a big student of terrain hunting stategies. I've followed Brad Herndon's writings for a decade, and am lucky to consider him a friend. I have access to various farms near my home totalling probably around a couple thousand acres. I've studied topographical maps of these areas, and have chosen terrain features that I feel increase my chances of seeing a mature buck. I mark each of these locations with a favorable wind direction, in addition to having a couple of Scent-Lok suits.

Deer numbers in my area are down considerably due to overhunting and poaching. I've been very fortunate these past couple of years, but I'm realistic enough to know that I can't keep pulling deer like these out of the hat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crookedlake92 said:
Did you mount them?
Yeah. I have the 2004 buck on the wall with the others, and the 2005 buck's antlers in my gun room awaiting the taxidermist's call.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
giants galore

When we have a "trophy" behind every tree we are in Deer Hunting Utopia. Especially when the buck:doe ratio is where it should be. See:Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Ohio, etc. Even in those states "trophy" bucks aren't easy. 'The Iowa residents that I am referring to are managing their lands for true Giant Bucks. What's the problem with that?? They also harvest surplus does. They do it the right way, and their DNRs are all for it. Wouldn't that be great if we got some new blood to run the IDNR deer management program??

1 - 20 of 62 Posts