Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

US to Canada with Firearm

Discussion in 'Reloading, Target Shooting, and Modern Firearms' started by Birddog13, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. OK, there is alot of info online about this but what do I need to do to take a firearm across the line. For bear hunting. Taking one for back up, going to try to nock one down with a bow first!:)

    Any help would be great.
  2. From what I've heard lately you would save yourself a ton of trouble if you used a firearm that was provided to you in Canada. They are fairly relentless with about everything, everyone that comes in country, right now.

  3. Try this link.
  4. A buddy of mine took a shot gun up with us in 2006. It was pretty simple. As I recall he just had to fill out a form and pay a $50 fee. But this is 2007, might be different now.
  5. Just fill out the form (in triplicate) but DO NOT sign until you process through Customs and pay the $50 Canadian fee. Be sure to keep the processed form with you at all times especially when your returning back to the states. I've done this the past four years and Customs always checked the serial #'s on the guns against the # on the form. We've also been checked by the CO twice while hunting and we're asked to show this form along with our license. It's all very simple and none of us ever had any problems either going or returning with guns and we always had two guns each. Firearms registration forms
  6. is it required to have your passport to cross and get back currently or does that go into action next year? I have heard both and with the bear hunt pending i guess I should have been asking this question a lot sooner. Whats the word those of you in the know.
  7. Passport is needed to return to the U.S. in 2008.
  8. We usually bolt ours to the underneath side of our vehicle and hope they don't look there. Anybody know what would happen if they found them there?
  9. When we went in 2006 we had no problem getting in Canada. It is getting back into the U.S. that we had problem with. You need your birth certififcate and 2 photo i.d.'s as a minimum. Your drivers liscence will not be enough. It technically does not show that you are a legal resident. We spent 2 hours at the border getting in.