Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walking out of the woods after a deer hunt on Sunday (got a doe!), my wife and I flushed over a dozen Quail out of a bean field. Can't wait to take the dog back out there.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
QuailDancer said:
Walking out of the woods after a deer hunt on Sunday (got a doe!), my wife and I flushed over a dozen Quail out of a bean field. Can't wait to take the dog back out there.
You'll have fun hunting them...remember---if you hunt them a lot, always leave at least 6 birds in the covey so they can make it through the winter.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is good to know and think about. If you factor in how I shoot, I'm certain there will be plenty out there to winter over.
Honestly, knowing that will make me more aware not to try to hunt them very hard. I look more forward to it as another learning experience with the pup!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I'm actually surprized that someone is seeing quail in northern Indiana. Maybe things are looking up!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
jackc99 said:
I'm actually surprized that someone is seeing quail in northern Indiana. Maybe things are looking up!!!!
Jack,

I hunt a place in Southern Michigan that holds a covey every year...just like grouse, it's habitat.

Cary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts