close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Walleye help!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by rico, Jun 26, 2006.

1. I have been an avid fisherman all my life. But never targeted walleye. I always caught them "accidently"! I am interested in how you fellas out there rig for them.

2. Hey Rico, To be honest, many walleyes are caught on bass lures in Indiana. I hear many bass anglers fising in tournaments that catch 'eyes accidentally on anything from tube jigs to spinnerbaits. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

In the springtime using sonar blade baits and twister jigs works fairly well. Right now vertical jigging might be one of the better methods because the warm shallows will force them to go deeper. A walleye's comfort range is between 55-70 degrees. That's not to say that they won't enter water warmer than that IF that's where their chow is, but don't look for them to remain there for real long. The one exception is after dark.....

As July wears on, think DEEP!! Vertical jigging with a jig and leech is good. Hook the leech right through the middle of the sucker allowing it to girate and help get a strike. Wobble jigs, leadheads (with or without the twister tail), etc. are good bets. A plain hook and split shot can actually be just as good sometimes. Trolling deep diving cranks can be a great way to find them too. Another favorite (at night time) is casting husky jerks into shallow feeding flats, and or weed lines up from the first break (right when the sun goes down).

During the daytime (mid-day) I'd bet they're gonna go deep now. Early morning-just before dark can provide the best action now. And, on lakes like Clear they can be deep even after dark now.

Hope this helps!!!

3. Hi Rico I am far from being a walleye fisherman, I am just learning to caught eyes. Down to the Huntington spill way we use jig heads and twister tails. At Erie we use nightcrawler harness and trolling we use spools or deep diving crankbaits. At Pike Lake quail and I use jigs with twistertails and nightcrawlers with bottom bouncers.

4. Lead head or floating jigs with 2-3 inch grubs, spinner rigs with live bait, crawlers or minnows, and crankbaits, diving or lipless. They seem fond of bright colors, yellows/orange...crankbaits in a firetiger pattern work real well.

If you hit Pike Lake, I'd start out fishing the south side of the lake, anywhere near the boat ramp, and stay in 12-20 feet of water. Most of them seem to be about 15-17 feet, but it's also hotter now...

5. The guy has one "410" kind of day and now...suddenly...he's an expert! :cwm27:

6. Thanks for the info fellas! I have hooked 'em through the ice before, when I was fishing for gill. In the summer I have caught them on my white curly tailed grub when I was fishing for crappie. Up north I was told to use a Eerie Deerie. With little success I must add. But keep them coming in because I love to eat those toothy critters! By the way 410, what is a bottom bouncer?

7. Hey hey...don't make me put the smack down on you...you ...you ...muskie fisherman!

8. Here is a bottom bouncer, run main line to the top of the wire, the weighted end "bounces" the bottom, tie about a 4 foot leader to the top short wire, and rig a minnow or crawler on a spinner rig, then troll troll troll. Gives you good depth control, keeps your spinner rig just off the bottom when the eyes are hugging the mud. I'd use the 2-3 oz for water deeper than 12 feet or so, just can't feel the lighter ones well enough.
    [​IMG]

9. Rico, Don't ever waste your time using an Erie Deerie "Up North" ever again. Save them for drifting on Erie only.

Bottom Bouncer??? Noone is gonna "jump on that"????? Mercy sakes!!!:biggrin:

If J.L. was here, he'd "have a go" at it.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  10. So that is a bottom bouncer!!!! Hey Dean, I just do what the "pros" tell me!!!;)

11. Well, why are you listening to Quail then? P.R.O= Pretty Retarded Object

P.S. Hey Rico, I assume you meant "Up North" being in Minnesota, Canada, U.P., Wisc. etc.??? I'm not saying Deeries would never work up there, it's just that my experiences up north have shown that you use something very basic. Live bait rigs....stuff without all "the bells and whistles".

Where do you fish up north?

12. Still chuckling!!!!!!! Yes Dean I meant norde! Minnesota. But, I havent been in 15+ years. Cant even remember the lakes now....but I do remember all the beer we drank, well sort of! Do all of my fishing around here now especially since I just moved back to my old stomping grounds. And seeing as how Winona and Pike Lakes are just a few miles away, I thought I would start trying to fish for them. Because they taste so gooooood! Like I said I am green at it, and any info or input would be appreciated!! Still chuckling over that "pro" comment, gonna have to remember that one! One thing though Quail......is this true??????:confused:

13. Rico, I fish around Ely, Minnesota darn near every year. It's a whole different world up there for sure. Indiana is getting better every year, but I doubt we'll ever match them in walleye production. Our lakes are very different for sure. The Oligotrophic and mesotrophic lakes here in NE Indiana are very different than the Canadian Shield lakes of NE Minnesota. Backtrolling like we do on the rock/sandy lakes in MN isn't really practical here because of the weeds, etc. You'd spend more time cleaning your baits than fishing. One thing I've learned over the years is that leeches seem to work when the surface water temp. is over 60-65 degrees, as opposed to minnows. This holds true here in Indiana as well. The problem is that leeches are expensive here. If you're lucky you'll find them by the dozen. Up there we buy them by the pound. Crawlers could be a good bet, but I honestly don't use them much. We used to use them on Erie, but we also had great luck on Erie with Leeches too.

Vertical jigging over known structure(s) is a good way to get them on Clear this time of year, but that lake is tough. I don't know anything about Pike, etc. The Birdman seems to be the true Pro on that lake.....

Maybe we could get together and give 'er a go sometime. Who knows, maybe we could get cousing Scott out there too.

14. Well,, in my neck of the water up here in the north.. Its the exact opposite... I keep catching those darn smallies on my walleye lures. In rivers, walleyes will be found in specific spots. Anywhere there is a current break, they will be there. Just throw a crankbait into the slack areas and run them through it. Look for points that stick out, brush piles, bridges, anywhere that makes a break from the current flow. They like to sit just out of the current and wait or a easy meal to swim by.

15. Rico, I'm no expert...( I just play one on here)
    Dean's right in that this is a lousy area for bottom bouncing...But...Pike Lk has a very clean sandy bottom on the SOUTH side of the lake, the NORTH side is a different story, can hardly get a crankbait through the grass up there.
    Let me put it this way...I'll keep fishing that way there, and don't think I'm wasting my time doing so.

If you get bit on crankbaits, or vertical jigging, I'm sure that would actually be a faster way to catch those 'eyes, but, if the fish are slow, and you mark fish next to the bottom, try deep trolling for them, it's worth a shot, and you really won't be fighting the weeds at all...on the SOUTH SIDE OF PIKE.