close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Warmest bow gear

Discussion in 'Indiana Bowhunting' started by dirtyq, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I'm sick of freezing bowhunting. Everytime I tell myself I'm gonna wear more clothes but never do because I don't want to be to cumbersome to draw my bow effectively. I thinking about going with wool but don't want to spend the $700 on pants and parka. Is there any alternative that is very warm without the bulk? I'm also looking for good raingear, sick of this 100% waterproof crap soaking me to the bone. Thanks for the help in advance. P.S this hasn't been much of a problem this year with the mild temps but I have a refuge hunt coming up and it's supposed to get cold soon.

2. Try long underwear, and I've got a umbrella that is camo and rigs into th tree, you can get it at walmart.

3. Have you tried the UnderArmor Coldgear ?

4. How about one of those camo deals that looks like a sleeping bag...slide into when you get in your stand and stay warm all day.

5. For the cold...
    Under Armor, then layer some thermals, next layer for me is the Scent-Lok suite, followed by a Natural Gear coverall...my whole outfit is made of very thin layers, and even with 4 layers, I keep my mobility and stay pretty warm. That includes the 27 degree mornings we had last week.

For rain...
    I've been wearing the same rain suit I have for fishing, it's Bright silver in color, I put on my Natural Gear coveralls over the top...the camo gets soaked, but I've been staying fairly dry. The camo layer over the rain gear also keeps the rain suit from making so much noise.

6. Filson makes superior outdoor gear. I own alot of their clothing and feel its some of the highest quality gear available. Check out their rain coat and rain bibs. Its all expensive though.

7. Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but might have some input on keeping warm...I like to enjoy all aspects of the outdoors and that has led me to experience it in several different ways including 40 mile adventure races in January and spelunking thru 50 degree cave water in April. When it comes to keeping warm the number one rule is STAY AWAY FROM COTTON, most importantly in the first 3 layers closest to your body. When I dress to stay warm, especially if I'm exerting myself (i.e. climbing 20 feet in a treestand in winter clothing) I go with a polypropelene wicking base layer (in my case UnderArmor Cold Gear), a thin layer of thermal underwear, then a layer of breathable fabric like fleece. The combination of the 3 moves sweat away from your body so that it doesn't cool on your skin and zap away body heat. Also try a good (non-cotton) sockcap, and a good combination of polypro and wool socks. I know it sounds like a lot to wear but most of the layers are pretty thin, and its hard to believe how well they work.
    And for the days where its gets down right nasty cold, try a trick I picked up. Use the thermal wraps for sore muscles. They use the same air activated hand warmers you can buy in the hunting aisle. I go for one that covers the lumbar region of my back...there's alot of blood moving through that area close to the skin....why not heat it up a bit before it moves on to the rest of your body.

Here's a website that gives a little more info for you:
    http://world.std.com/~bostonhb/docs/winterclothes.html

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

8. I've used Artic Shield Bibs and Parka for years. The new H3 clothing is even better, it's alot quieter then the older clothing that they've met. I also belive they are on sale at Bass Pro right now.

9. Rivers West makes the best Hunting gear I have ever had. Quite, warm, waterproof and windproof.

A little pricey but I think it might have been the best piece of hunting equipment I have ever purchased.

10. I second River's West. It's awesome. I used to wear Scent Lok as my last layer, but now I use the Scent Lok classic under River's West stuff. I typically hunt in cold weather all season up here and this way I don't have to dig for gear if it starts raining or snowing. Remember to layer though.

11. dress warm reduce draw weight and draw length if possible
    and yes under armor cold gear works great with longjohns over them
    get scentblocker suit that blocks the wind or something alike ,hand muff for fingers, good rubber boots i prefer muckboots
    most of all cover your head once in the tree knit cap or something warm u loose most of your body heat through your head
    good luck

12. I'm all for the under armor but that stuff is expensive. Under Armor Cold Gear bottoms and top over $100 in Georgia. Unless you want to spend that go to Wal-Mart buy polypropolene bottoms and top and add Fleece layers over that. I hunt in Indy, Illinois, and Ga and never had a problem. Of course the Scent Blocker suit on top of those 2-3 layers. Just works for me. And stay away from cotton, you will be soaking wet and cold.

13. Looks cool...pardon the pun...unless you look at the price...$250 and up. For a whole lot less I'll buy a sleeping bag and pull it up under my chin.
    I just layer my clothes and put on my parka and bibbs at the tree. I put on the parka first and then the bibbs so that it all stays tight and has less spots for the air to escape. I also use a fleece neck warmer...keeps the body heat from escaping from the top of my coat...makes a great big difference. Boot blankets and a muff for the feet and hands.
    If I have a good hat...neck warmer and bibbs to hold in as much heat as possible and keep my chest area warm, I can wear less bulky coats to free up my arms and keep string interference to a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2006
  14. There really is not one piece of clothing that will solve all of your problems, think lots of good layers.

I like all my underlayers to be tight fitting, to reduce overall bulk. Here is my cold weather setup up.

First:Underarmor cold gear top and pants
    Second: Cotten long underwear
    Third: loose fitting Fleece Long under Wear
    Finally: Rivers West Camo

Works great for me, and I can still shoot my bow.

Josh