close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Washing Hunting Clothes??

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by Rauch, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the best way to dry your hunting clothes after you wash them in scent free soap. I know they make the fresh earth dryer sheets or just hanging them up outside would do the trick, but was just wondering what everyone else finds to be the best way to keep those clothes as scent free as possible....Any suggestions would be great and good luck hunting!!!!

Josh

2. After washing my clothes I dry them in the dryer with fresh earth dryer sheets and then place them into a scent free bag. This method has worked well for me. I feel if you don't live out in the country and away from everything hanging your clothes outside is not a great idea. To many smells in the air such as exhaust fumes, BBQ, and numerous other neighborhood smells that could get onto your clothing. I very well could be wrong on this theory but it makes sense.

3. I use the fresh earth dryer sheets also. Don't think they work that well as far as making your clothes smell like dirt. They do get the static out without making your hunting clothes smell like the dryer sheets my wife uses. After drying I put them in a scent free bag along with a couple of fresh earth dryer sheets, after being in there for a few hours they will come out smelling like dirt.

4. After I wash my cloths in scent killer I take a big tub with lid and I put leaves and I cut up some acorns from the area I am hunting in the tub and then I put my cloths in them and then they stay outside all hunting season and the bad thing is, it's cold outside in the shed when I put them on. I use to use the dirt scent but then I wondered when did I ever smell fresh dirt in Nov and Dec when it is cold and the ground is frozed.:bash: :bonk:

5. i use to use leaves in a bag with my gear but some of the guys said to use those scent waffers in a air tight tub so im going to try that

6. Hanging them outside is best, but I do use the FE wafers when I go to the laundry mat (when it gets cooold), but mainly just to cover up any drier odors. After they're dry I put them in rubbermaid containers with dried corn stalks, oak and maple leaves, a sprig of cedar, acorns etc. to put in a natural cover scent on my outer garments. I wear base slayers, and a climaflex scent lok suit underneath. I know some people believe that scent lok doesn't work, but I'm convinced that it definately helps keep deer from smelling you. I've had deer downwind of me that didn't spook away. Just 'cause you do all this "scent free" stuff doesn't mean you shouldn't clean your body, mouth, etc. either.

Clean up your act Mister(s)!!!!!!!!!!:bonk:

I'm anal retentive about scent fellas...I'm sure some of this stuff seems overkill, but it's well worth the effort. I even go to the extreme of having freshly laundered and treated underwear, socks, etc.
    AND (you'll all think I'm off my rocker here) I even clean my boots inside and out and also dry them as well. I guess I"m just :dizzy: ...Shut up Scott and Quail!!!!!!:cheeky-sm

7. I wash in scent free soap. Dry with earth scent dryer sheets. Line the inside of my clothes tub with fresh cut pine tree limbs. I usually cut new limbs once a week to keep that pine smell in the clothes. I used to air dry outside, but cold weather doesn't dry very well. Always excessively use scent killer before going to the woods. Good luck to all during this peak time we are approaching. Lets see those big bucks posted soon.

8. Clothes and body are important but don't forget some of your other gear either. I spray my fanny pack down with scent killer and if I'm using my climber, the seat and padding on it before heading out.

All this makes me wonder how early man ever killed anything....they never had the products we have today and were probably not the cleanest creatures around. They must have been awfully good at huntin the wind.

9. I can't say a thing about it Dean. Sounds like you have my system down pat! I also do all that you mentioned. As far as Scent-lok, let all the folks who say they don't work just keep saying it...it won't keep me from wearing mine, to many deer dead down wind and clueless I was there. I even spray down the inside of my truck with scent killer ( why go to all that effort and spend 40 minutes driving to my site in a smelly truck). Also wash my undies and a few towels with my gear for showers, about every 3 trips out or so, the boots go in the washer too.

10. I WASH MY CLOTHES IN WATER ONLY, NO SOAP. OCCASIONALLY I WILL ADD BAKING SODA, IF IT IS AROUND. THEN I HANG THEM OUTSIDE TO AIR DRY ON THE NICER DAYS. ONCE DRY THEY GO INTO TUBS WITH CEDAR HAMPSTER CAGE SHAVINGS. WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OUT LATER, THEY REALLY DO SMELL LIKE CEDAR. UNFORTUNATELY, AS THE SEASON GOES ON THE WEATHER OUTSIDE DOES NOT LEND ITSELF TO AIR DRYING. THEN I AM FORCED TO USE THE DRYER.

11. I use baking soda then throw them on the cloths line. Then before I go hunting I throw them in the dryer with earth scent sheets.