close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Waterfowl news

Discussion in 'Indiana Outdoor News' started by goggleye57, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Waterfowl news

DNR geese policy takes flight

Seth Slabaugh, Muncie Star Press

MUNCIE -- A golf pro and a reservoir superintendent are applauding an effort by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources to destroy the eggs and nests of resident Canada geese that congregate in urban areas. The agency is conducting three goose management seminars this month, and is publicizing the fact that property owners no longer have to obtain permits from DNR wildlife biologists to destroy goose nests and eggs. (All that's required now is to register online). In addition, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has removed ceilings on how many eggs can be destroyed. While many people enjoy the V formation and honking of giant Canada geese, the birds' aggressive behavior, noise, droppings and feathers are a nuisance to others.
    http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/NEWS01/703050321/1002

High water forces cranes to alter travel plans

Associated Press

AZALIA - Wetlands where migrating sandhill cranes normally congregate are flooded this year, sending thousands of the large birds on a detour to southern Bartholomew County. An estimated 5,000 sandhill cranes have gathered about 50 miles south of Indianapolis near the town of Azalia _ a gathering spot that experts said is unusual for the birds. "I've seen them in Bartholomew County before, but not this many," said Dan Kaiser, a local resident who serves as a bird spotter for Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The cranes are flying from their southern wintering grounds to nesting locations in the Great Lake states and Canada.
    http://www2.indystar.com/articles/0/249673-8700-127.html

2. I've never really agreed with the destruction of goose nests. Why not offer hunters more opportunities to hunt geese instead?

3. If you're going to let them stomp on eggs, give us an extended season....makes no sense to me.

4. I am actually going to one of these seminars later this month. The main reason I'm going is to see first hand what is being taught and what the general attitude is of the group. Secondly, I want to offer my opinions on alternative solutions like a) extended hunting seasons with larger bag limits and b) waterfowl relocation projects vs. destruction projects.

Should be an interesting seminar.

I'm not a fan of destruction, but there is a serious goose problem and we as hunters need to get involved to tackle the problem the right way. I was in Fort Wayne earlier today and was amazed at the number of honkers along the drainage ditches along side the streets in the industrial parks. I snapped these photos just this morning. I'll bet anything these honkers have never migrated one single time out of Allen Co. We as hunters need to get involved in these goose problems with better solutions rather than egg and nest destruction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DEC- Come check out the Industrial parks along 65 down here, and at my work with it's lake......rediculous how many birds are now residential around here...

Let me know what you find out at the seminar.

6. I may be misspoken, but I think that if you 1)destroy a goose nest, they will build another one and lay more eggs or 2)destroy the eggs, they will lay more eggs. I had read somewhere several years ago that one would need to "scramble" the eggs (shake them real hard while not breaking the shell) and place them back on the nest. Then the geese will continue to incubate them but they will never hatch.

That being said, I also think that this is illegal in Indiana. Any update would be encouraged...

7. You have to have a permit from the DNR to "shake" eggs. I think this is the better way to go before destruction but it does nothing for their ill temper.

8. Think like a Goose

NOTE: Be careful when trying to destroy the eggs of a goose nest. Those geese can break bones with thier wings and they wil fight back to save the nest. Trust me on this one. You may need to bring some protection such as a garbage can lid and a long stick or fishing net. LOL Those wings on the geese are strong and very hard and they can beat the Heck out of you if you get near their nest.

The problem as I see it is with Residential Geese that nest in areas that cause problems. If the Geese were to nest elsewhere then it would not be a problem.

Problem #1 is the goose droppings. When you get a concentration of geese using one area for long periods of time this can create a real goose droppings mess. Example the Sugar Ridge Property where the Geese use the road between two of the pits. That dirt road is covered with dropping. Another example is at Otter Pit in the Bluegrass F&W area. The resident geese walk down the concrete boat ramp and leave their poop all over the boat ramp. This not only is gross but the extra nitrogen from the Geese droppings promotes Algae to grow on the concrete. This is a hazard for anyone trying to launch a boat. The ramp can become extremely slippery from the Algae. I've seen many people slip and get hurt at these launch ramps.

There are resident geese everywhere in Evansville where there is a small pond. Drive down I-164 bypass just South of the Lloyd and you can see these geese on the pond in the Business area on the West Side of the I-164 Highway. Look at the ponds all along I-164 from I-64 to Southlane Drive. Any small body of water can hold some resident geese.

Now the problem is not too many geese so much as where the geese are nesting and living on a daily basis. Hunting will remove some geese but it's not going to move the geese from a certain spot and prevent that area from becoming a nesting site.

What's needed is a way to move the geese out of residential areas and onto other places. Now if you could shoot the geese in the residential areas that would do the trick but that's not going to happen. But you can go into these residential areas and destroy the nests. This will discourage the geese from nesting here. And hopefully it will prevent these geese from returning to this area in the future. It may take a couple of seasons before the Geese learn to not nest in these areas.

I don't know if this will work or not. It will take a concerted effort to move all the geese from all the residential ponds. I remember living up in INDY for a while. My Apartment had a lake and there were geese living around this lake. They would **** on my patio and made a mess.

I would also be in favor of an extended hunting season. But I have hunted ducks and geese in the past and they are smart birds. They wise up pretty fast and you have to really know how to hunt them to be successful all the time. You have to know the call and you must be patient and let them come in close enough before you rise up to shoot. You have to know how to put out the decoys and you must be concealed. I've seen too many slobs hunting Geese down at Hovey's who would sky blast and all that does is educate the geese to stay away from the hunting pits and blinds. All it takes is one party out of 20 to sky blast and scare the geese away. I am sure that many of you have experience this as well if you are hunting on public property. Maybe this has changed and hunters are smarter than they were in the past. I sure hope so. But my point is that it's harder to reduce the goose population via hunting or extending the seasons. Not that I am against that. I just don't think it will be as effective in solving the problem of residential geese.

I am in favor of removing the nests for a season or two to drop the population. This will of course have to be monitored closely. Hopefully it won't take more than one or two nesting seasons to reeducate the geese and stop them from nesting near people. I think this is worth a try and hopefully the geese will be smart and move to other nesting areas away from humans.

I have a theory that some of the nasty looking roofs around town are the result of geese droppings falling out of the sky as the Geese fly over houses. The droppings hit the roof and then when it rains they spread down the roof in a V shape. This then added nutrients into the roofing material where algae or fungus starts to grow and this discolors the roofs. Look around and you will see this on almost all the roofs. There is a lot of discolored and damaged roofs out there.

It would be easy to test my theory by taking samples from the areas of the roof that are stained and comparing them to areas of the roof that are not stained. A test could be performed to determine if any fungus is growing on the stained roof samples vs the unstained roof samples.

Roof material is made from quarts, fiberglass, cellulose, sometimes asbestos fibers and tar. The cellulose would be the component that would contribute to the fungal growth if it were soaked in Nitrogen rich goose poop. Even a dilute amount of goose poop that was washed down the roof would encourage the fungus to grow into the roofing material. Some roofing shingles may not contain cellulose filler and that may be why it's not stained. It's only a theory of mine that needs to be tested. Maybe I can get with a roofing company and get some samples of old shingles when the tear off the roof. I may do that someday. Until then I will promote the control of the geese numbers to help eliminate this potential problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  9. I don't doubt you at all DNB. Those pictures were from one two block stroll down an industrial development. Every side ditch had geese in it and these geese sure are not scared of people from what I saw.

One of the draw backs to the storm water regulations that have been imposed by the Federal and State governments has been that geese now have their pick of any number of great detention basins to choose from. The same people that love to see their neighborhood pond, that serves as run off detention, hate the geese that move in. If you were a goose what would you do? I'd be lounging around on a plush lawn too.:biggrin: And heaven forbid that the golfers have to step in goose crap.:yikes:

It is a double edge sword. The federal government has created the problem, IMO. They protect the geese like it is still the 1970's yet they force development to create these natural goose breeding grounds. They really really need to extend seasons, increase limits, promote hunting them, and look at relocation or other non-destructive measures for problem geese.

10. Well what about noise makers to drive the geese away to other areas before the lay their eggs? That and extended hunting seasons and more liberal limits for a few years might help to reduce the geese numbers and also to move them away from the residential areas.

To try to capture and move them would be very expensive. But I am not sure if noise makers would work either.

Goverment moves slow and is often behind and out of phase. But I am glad to see that IDNR is trying to address the problem.

11. That is why there is a difference in shooting geese and actually knowing how to hunt them. To each his own, but jump shooting and pass shooting do more damage to the "huntablility" of geese than the small numbers reduction that happens from some lucky shots. People to it ... I don't ... and I try to teach those who I take hunting with me to not take those kinds of shots. Learning how to set dekes, call, and when to shoot are key. Feet down, in the decoys. Hunt them fast and if possible get out of the area as quickly as possible to limit how many get educated.:coolgleam

12. Noise makers will work, but the problem is that the families on the subdivision overlooking the detention pond and the golfer on the tee box don't like the constant noise.

Relocating geese is a tough job and you are right an expensive one. I know some guys that do it on a limited basis using horse trailers. How effective it is, is hard to tell. But that is part of the reason I'm going to the seminars. I want to learn more about all the options.:coolgleam

13. 1000000%......X.....:yeahthat:

Well said DEC!!

14. I think that the purpose of these seminars is to help relieve the goose related incidents in areas that can't be hunted.

Ideally, the solution would be to induce the complaining parties to allow hunting. (I fall under the catagory of "Noise Makers"!) With the proliferation of retention ponds at every new parking lot and apartment complex, there is ample habitat, but no chance for predation.

Enter egg oiling, nest destruction, and harrassment.

Ideally, some of these geese will be harrassed to a spot where they will be subjuct our hunting.

15. i could really careless about the golfer on the tee box or the home owner on the pond
    deal with or go back in the city the wet lands are going away because of your house and golf course we need a place to eat sleep and make babies
    thanks mr honker

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007