close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well?? Rifles or No Rifles??

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Hunter Hollis, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Hunter Hollis

Hunter Hollis Banned

Im sure someone will chime in with the latest news. :hide:

2. Hunter Hollis

Hunter Hollis Banned

Pistol cartridge rifle ready to become legal in Indiana

STEVE FORD, Staff writer
    Sunday, March 25, 2007
    Since not all rifle cartridges are made equal, Indiana deer hunters might actually have some new options next firearms season.
    A pistol cartridge rifle (PCR), not to be confused with a high-powered cousin like a 30.06, might actually become legal means for taking Indiana deer next season.

STORY TOOLS

[​IMG]More Local Sports

The PCR proposal is scheduled for an Indiana Department of Natural Resources hearing on Monday at 6 p.m., Evansville time, at the Garrison Conference Center at Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis.
    Public comments can be submitted in person at the public meeting, by written letter or by e-mail through March 31. The e-mail address is jkane@nrc.in.gov.
    Then a copy of the public hearing report will be available (at www.IN.gov/nrc) prior to final consideration by the Natural Resources Commission, which should come sometime in May.
    It would seem a formality after the NRC had given the new rule preliminary consideration last July.
    In other words, provided there's not a huge public outcry on Monday or over the Internet, PRCs could be adopted as legal firearms sometime this summer.
    Here's why it's a good thing, according to Warrick County deer hunter Woody Williams, who runs a Web site for Hunting Indiana members.
    "This is an excellent proposal," said Williams. "The cartridges being discussed will put limitations on the rifle. They will have no more range than present slug guns or muzzleloaders used today."
    The proposed rule change says that the rifle cartridge must have a bullet .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.
    Those are the same cartridges - .357 and .44 magnum - that are currently legal for use with handguns during firearms season. It's just that PCRs are generally easier to handle and fire accurately.
    Williams, who said 75 percent of hunters polled on his Web site favor the change, thinks legalization of the proposal will be positive on a number of fronts for deer hunting in Indiana.
    "First, it will help recruit more hunters," he said. "But it will also make hunters better shots for a more humane and quicker kills, give biologists another management tool and produce more revenue from tag sales, which have lagged in recent years."
    Williams explained that most young hunters and women can't comfortably withstand the heavy recoil from a slug gun or muzzleloader but can easily handle the lighter kick from a PCR.
    He said it will also encourage hunters to practice more because PCRs will be much cheaper to shoot than a slug gun or muzzleloader. And practice does make for better accuracy.
    Plus, adding PCRs to the DNR's deer-hunting language would not change the long-term policy of allowing only short-to-medium range firearms for taking deer. The DNR said it has often received requests from the public for a rule change allowing the use of some rifles.
    "I hope the Natural Resources Commission will look favorably on this proposal," said Williams. "Hunters who feel the same way should make their voices heard, too."

:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

3. OMG!!!!! Will we be able to use them for Turkey hunting too??? Gosh I sure hope so, it hurts my shoulder too bad to shoot those 3" turkey loads. :help:

4. My shoulder is already sore thinking about those 3.5" hevi-13 loads. OUCH:rolleyes:

5. How do you tell the difference between the two if you are sitting in one woods and a guy is popping of a rifle in the other? All I know is every rifle shot I hear im having the DNR come out and check to make sure its legal. Too easy to cheat and get away with it. As of now... Rifle shots are far and few between and you can identify them from their sound. Its easy to get a dnr officer out to investigate those but if we change how do we identify the cheaters. Isnt it our job as law abiding citizens to make sure that our neighbors and those around us are abiding by the laws that manage our herds? After all their cheating inevitably affects our hunting in the long run. So how do you tell the difference.? I cant run out and check the ballistics, so how do I tell the difference.

6. I agree.........seems like it will be a nightmare for the CO's to enforce.

7. Oh, you just forget how ignorant you are. LEO's are well versed in every type of weapon their is. They are able to make precise snap judgements. I mean, how can you even tell if a bolt actions muzzy isn't a rifle. And you shouldn't be worried about everyone else, you just keep your nose in your business and let everyone else tend to theirs. And most important, remember, we don't "manage" the herd, all we do is "kill within the perameters established by the DNR." :rolleyes:

(I hope everyone recognizes that these aren't my thoughts, I am plagerizing...it actually hurt to type that last sentence...)

8. I guess you do the same thing you do now when you hear a shotgun go off during muzzleloader season. I've learned long ago that if people want to cheat, they're going to cheat regardless of how much you worry about it.

9. No, nobody cheated before the OBR...:banghead3

10. NO RIFLES FOR DEER HUNTING IN INDIANA NO NO NO NO NO NO NOand NO

11. Hunter Hollis

Hunter Hollis Banned

The only time my shoulder ever hurt from shooting a shotgun was when I was shooting at paper. Funny how you dont feel a thing while hunting.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  12. :cwm27: !!!! Buck up Randy; What are you a sissy?

13. The COs that I have talked to said," No problem."

A .44 mag going off is quite different in sound that a 30.06 and in every other way too.

Then how about them "hand cannns"?

You going to call the CO every time you hear one of them too?

Hope fully this will be over soon so we can go back to talking hunting.

14. Oh, no...This is just starting back up. Another 9 or 10 pages?

:bash: :banghead3 :bash: :hide:

15. You want a fat thread? Three magic words...OBR... RIfle...Crossbow!