Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, is it legal to float any river in Indiana with public access and jump shoot or decoy ducks and geese? I have read the rules and they contradict each other the explanations I have read.

·
Registered
457 Posts
aside from city limits i think you can. i see duck hunters on our rivers and natural lakes all over. send email to dnr and ask. then print off reply and keep it in your hunting jacket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question, is it legal to float any river in Indiana with public access and jump shoot or decoy ducks and geese? I have read the rules and they contradict each other the explanations I have read.
I believe it's legal as long as it's a NAVIGABLE river and you aren't in city limits. The birds also to be flying between the banks, and if they fall on private property you have to get permission to retrieve them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe it's legal as long as it's a NAVIGABLE river and you aren't in city limits. The birds also to be flying between the banks, and if they fall on private property you have to get permission to retrieve them.
Yea, and goodluck deterimining what is navigable. Probably follow Pred's advice and ask DNR directly about the specific stretch you want to hunt. We have a White Lick Creek near me, great to fish, but designated non navigable, and most of the owners will hassle you even if your floating, so unfortunatlely I just stay out of it.
I believe the non navigable streams are still open to float if you can gain access at a public site. But you can't get out to wade or walk on the shore if your bird hits the ground on private property, then you would need permission to retrieve.

·
Registered
457 Posts
there is a list of navigable rivers on line somewhere. its federal thing. i used to have all that info after gettting run off a river bank by guy with a gun. its a great hole so i did my research and found it was navigable river and is "public domain to visible high water mark"! i went bank next weekend with my own carry gun. lol he tried the same thing. pulling back his vest to show his gun and tell me i couldnt fish there. i leaned back and showed my gun in my waist and said go rite ahead and call the law if you feel you have to. i said if you do ill get you ticketed for harassing a sportsman. lmao. never seen him again. anyhow all the laws and river list is on the net if you search. mot many navigable rivers to choose from in our state. water is still public though! just cant touch earth on non navigable waters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is a list of navigable rivers on line somewhere. its federal thing. i used to have all that info after gettting run off a river bank by guy with a gun. its a great hole so i did my research and found it was navigable river and is "public domain to visible high water mark"! i went bank next weekend with my own carry gun. lol he tried the same thing. pulling back his vest to show his gun and tell me i couldnt fish there. i leaned back and showed my gun in my waist and said go rite ahead and call the law if you feel you have to. i said if you do ill get you ticketed for harassing a sportsman. lmao. never seen him again. anyhow all the laws and river list is on the net if you search. mot many navigable rivers to choose from in our state. water is still public though! just cant touch earth on non navigable waters.
Here is the list from the DNR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts