close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind u own

Discussion in '4 Wheeling - ATV's' started by commando, May 6, 2007.

1. What kind of atv do you guys own and whats the pros and cons to it? I been thinking of getting a rincon someday

2. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

Honda, the only way to go, just pure dependability! all i will say about a quad is you wont use it as much as ya think, so a 400 4x4 is more then enough, keep it simple, no sense in spending all that cash for a big bore with all the frills, waste of money..my .02$

3. Don't really have an ATV, but we do have a Club Car Ingersoll Rand golf cart conversion. Its a two seat golf cart chassis with a hydraulic aluminum dump bed, a 6 inch lift and ATV tires. Might not be the most practical thing if you are going to be carting it all over, but it would fit on a regular ATV trailer. I think they are quite a bit quieter too. Like CB said...just my .02

4. 2002 polaris 500 HO. It a very smooth ride on rough terrain and handles well on county roads. Down in the southern counties you can ride them on the county roads. I have this one just because my hunting land is very hilly and i need the extra horsepower to haul my 287 lb carcass up the hills. Great for hauling out deer too. I just put on a winch this spring for extra safety. Winches r good for winching out deer out of deep ravines too. I have no complaints now but i went to a K&N air filter because it was cold natured and felt like it needed more air. This cured that. If i had to buy one now i would look at the new can am. It has a true locking differential. Has great power too.

5. honda i'm with seabee you can get parts anywhere and everywhere and i agree that the bigger more pricey models are a way to run with the JONES's you don't need it my 350 rancher will do what they do full time 4x4 snow plow thats all i use it for besides hunting and my son runs the balls off it when he visits

6. HONDA. The only brand, IMO.

I have a 2003 Honda 350 Rancher ES 4x4. I bought it slightly used in 2005 and wish now I'd bought the matching one the guy was selling as well. I use mine quite a bit. Mostly for play, but I use it a fair share for hunting too. I use it to pull the decoy trailer into soft fields for goose hunting, hauling out deer, hauling tree stands in and out, and a variety of other things. Contrary to what others said, I thought I would not use it very much. I find myself using my ATV all the time, work and play. My daughter and I rode it for a couple hours just yesterday afternoon. I taught her how to drive it, with me as a passenger. She drove me all over the place on the thing.

The only thing I've ever had to do to mine is change the oil and put a new battery in it. The thing just flat runs.

I do agree in that you don't need to buy a giant model. In fact, I think the 350 to 400 size is ideal for most situations. Easier to haul and get in and out of tight spaces. Last year we hauled a pair of 650's up to Canada for bear hunting. They took up too much trailer space and were gas guzzling beasts, IMO. I'd have gladly traded either of them for my 350.

Just my opinions for what they are worth.

Buy Honda.:coolgleam

7. I`VE GOT TWO YAMAHA`S A GRIZZLY 660 AND A WOLVERINE 350, BOTH ARE WORKHORSES, I USE THEM LIKE TRACTORS, ALL UTILITY. THEY EACH HAVE THEIR PROS AND CONS ON ENGINE SIZE. THE 660 HAS ALOT OF POWER AND A SMOOTH RIDE BECAUSE OF THE IRS. THE 350 HAS A STRAIGHT SHAFT DRIVE AND TOWS WELL WITHOUT SAG.

I DO AGREE WITH OTHERS THAT A LARGE ENGINE IS OVERRATED FOR GENERAL USE. ALOT OF THE "BIGGER IS BETTER" SEEMS TO BE A MARKETING GIMMICK. UNLESS YOUR A VERY HEAVY INDIVIDUAL OR WILL BE CARRYING TWO PEOPLE OFTEN, I WOULD THINK A QUAD IN THE 400-500 CC RANGE WOULD DO ANYONE WELL FOR GENERAL USE.

8. Yamaha Kodiak 450, love it.

9. :sad: Unfortunately... Sold mine last year

10. '98 Honda Foreman 450 ES - Snowplows - pulls huge loads of firewood- pulls logs- relatively simple machine - air cooled - 1 banger

11. I used to have a 300 Suzuki w/4wd lock-in and out. That thing was a great quad and would go anywhere. I use my buddies Polaris 500 sportsman AT anytime I need it and when we are hunting. Its alright for what we use it for but if you go through water, sometimes the belt slips and you have to wait for it to dry out. If I were buying one today, I would buy the Honda Rancher hands down, perfect size and motor. I wouldn't get the automatic or ES (electric shift), I would get the manual foot shift.
    BTW, does anyone have a used 300-400 quad 4 sale?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  12. It looks like a little smaller is what you all are saying . I wanted something bigger cause Im 6'5 255 and like leg room. So if you guys where as tall as me would you look into the bigger models or not. Im sure the wife would ride on it with me on the trips up to Michigan also.

13. Ditto on that summary..............

1999 Honda 450 ES 4x4..............I'm brutal to this thing............and all I've ever done is change the oil since birth.......still even running the original battery!!

It's a red wrecking ball that can climb a tree. :coolgleam

14. it takes allot of beer to run this one :banghead3
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007