Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great year, harvested 7 deer, 5 with bow, 2 with muzzleloader.

Didn't get a nice buck, but after all you can't eat them antlers LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am proud to say my season has been a big fat goose egg, zero, nada, but the season is still young. I will take my first deer of the year sometime next week.:biggrin:
maybe...

Congrats on a fine year.:bowdown:

MIDH

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got a buck back in November. Held onto my bonus tag for muzzy. Seen an absolute ton of deer during muzzy season, probably more in those 2 weeks then i had seen all year long. I missed a doe last week, shot right over her back with my open sights. I could only get out this past weekend one time becuase i had to visit the in laws in southern indiana all weekend. I got out there last eve at 4:30 and seen 13 doe and one 7 point buck. I was hunting on the ground and had a nice doe get to within 15 yards of me and my gun didnt fire off, the cap went off but not the gun:banghead3. Needless to say that it was it for me. I put another cap on before i left and fired the gun and it went off this time. Figures doesnt it? Im seeing so many deer though that i talked myself into trying late archery for the first time, i went tonight and seen 8, too far out though, i also froze. I cant wait for the warmup later this week.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I had a dismal year and only got one, but i didn't get a lot of time to hunt because of Purdue. Lowest total since my first year when I was nine. oh well, still a little of the season left and i'm headed out tonight. Total between my grandpa, dad, brother, and friend, which is where we get our meat is close to 30.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deer Season 2005

Slow Here In Our Area!!! Not Many Bucks Seen.... Does Yes???
Seems Good Mast Crop Has Kept Deer Movements Low!

Any News On The New Record Indiana Buck Rumor????
Or Any Photos Of This Monster????
Location Area Of Harvest???

Good Luck To All In Last Of This 2005 Season!!

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Shot a pretty nice buck second day of firearms (check out picture), going for the does right now in late archery. Kind of cold but alot of fun. Might have to get another freezer.......

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've passed on several small bucks and many does as I've been hunting for a particular size in my buck....Still looking and will hopefully get it during late bow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have taken 5 this year. I got a doe and a really nice buck with my bow, 1 doe with my shotgun, a doe with my ML, and a really nice buck with my ML at a Crane hunt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
4 does so far. 2 in early archery and 2 in ML. Didn't see any shooter bucks this year. I'm not done hunting yet, but it gets very hard to connect in late archery where I hunt.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Total of 4 deer this year. I took a doe with shotgun on Nov. 17th, my biggest buck ever (12 pt./182 gross green score) with shotgun on Nov. 23rd and the doe he was chasing immediately after making sure he wasn't going anywhere anymore, and a doe on Dec. 26th with my bow. It was without a doubt my best year ever and I contribute it to spending more time in the woods this year, using the wind in my favor, a whole lotta' luck, and the Lord blessing me with a dream season. I saw 23 deer in 1 1/2 hours on stand on Dec. 26th, awesome time in the tree!!!

Congrats to everyone fortunate enough to take a whitetail this year!!!!!

treehugger

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My experience was not so good.

Last year I saw 13 different bucks on my property, an increase for three straight years and saw a nice one in bow. Unfortunately the one I saw in bow was killed by a car (as it left my property) 2 days after I had seen it. I scored the 15 pointer at 175 3/8 net non-typical. Needless to say I had high hopes for this year. I have owned the property since 1997 and have been tracking sightings/managing wildlife since that time.

My adult buck to adult doe ratio has been averaging 1: 1.65 to 1:1.8, but this year it dropped to 1:6. I only had 6 buck sightings and could only account for 3 different bucks on my property. Let me tell you what I learned though...

I have 3 fields that total 12 acres that I cash rent. When they are in corn I see on average 3 times as many bucks as when they are in beans, no matter when the corn is harvested. This year they were in beans. I also have food plots. This year I tried forage turnips, they grew great. Too bad the only thing feeding on them this fall and winter are me and my dad. I shared the seed with a co-worker though and he had his mowed off at about 3 inches by the deer. My only explanation is that he is next to a 400 acre tract of woods and I think food sources are more limited there. I also tried a mix of rape and chickory. Still waiting to see something eat it, haven't been hungry enough to try it myself either.

I have not given up though and spent several hours in my stand this year planning for next. I plan to do this..... Plant the 3 fields to corn and see if my cousin/renter can wait until atleast Thanksgiving to harvest, plant one food plot into corn and let it stand. Create three new food plots and put them in a clover, chickory, alfalfa mix. Create 4 mineral licks. Plant more cover ( I have planted 22,000-24,000 trees and shrubs to date and continue with more each year). Spray the low area in my woods that is choked out with canary grass and plant it to dogwoods, birch, sycamore, swamp white oak and silver maple. Spread fertilizer on the natural browse by pulling a fertilizer wagon up and down all my mowed paths.

Any other ideas or success stories you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Just one buck..... Work got too busy,(As a hunter Iam almost embarrassed to admit that) and the buck filled my entire freezer. Three deer were shot out of my treestand.... Guess we won't move it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts