close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

whitetail hauntings !!

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by scrapewatcher, Apr 3, 2006.

1. what is your worst hauntings of missed oppertunities of big bucks while bow hunting. the one that haunts your thoughts and dreams even in the off season. the ones you shot at and missed or came so close and didn't quite get a shot for some reason. tell your story !! i know i have one.

2. Hauntings

Scrape

This is not about a missed Buck, but a missed opportunity on a Piebald Doe. I absolutely love the markings on these deer. What a pelt that would have made.

I was in the stand in Switzerland County. The buddy whose land I was hunting on was out hunting near that stand as well. We agreed to meet at a given time. My buddy was to come by the stand I was in and get me.

This was an afternoon hunt, and I had seen a few deer early and then no activity, until it was just minutes before the prescribed time my buddy was to come by. There were five Does walking a path that would take them within 25 yards of my stand. The Piebald was the last in the string (and a mature Doe she was). The Piebald was about to come into bow range. I had my bow drawn. That Doe went into full alert and froze. I looked out of the corner of my eye and my buddy was walking towards my stand. :banghead3 That's my story about a missed opportunity.

DaWG

3. The only memory that severly haunts me is from the fall of 2003. It was the first cold snap for southern Indiana (one of very few that hunting season), roughly 10 degrees when I got up that November morning. I had a 1 1/2 walk to my hunting spot, where I finally got ready in my climber, perched on a ridgetop. The ridge was separated by two hay fields, but the woods line was approx 35 yards wide. At around 7:30 that morning, I started to rattle and grunt. A couple of minutes later I noticed a big bodied deer approx 300 yards away feeding underneath a white oak. I rattled to see what it was and when he lifted his head, I could see antlers VERY EASY! I grunted a couple of times and let loose on my bleat-in-heat call and the buck basically sprinted to my location. The 160 class 10-pointer stopped 20 yards away looking for the "doe" that needed to be bred. At approx. 16 yards (what I walked it off at after I got out of the tree that afternoon), the buck stopped broadside and looked away from me. I started to draw my Mathews MQ1 and right at the break off point of the "letoff," the spring in my release busted. This sent my arrow clanking off of a nearby tree, and watching my dream buck at the time bound off into the sunrise.

Not a deer season goes by that I don't think about that buck, especially after the the farmer sold the ground the following year. Unfortunately the gentleman who owns it now does not allow any hunting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2006
  4. wow these are great stories. mine happened last yr. twice. the 1st time i was hunting right inside a choked down funnel not far from a scrape. i hd seen 3 different young 6 to 8 pointers using that funnel. so i relocated my stand. the 1st time i saw the big whitehorned 8 he came to the scrape and instead of turning in the funnel he crossed the tracks straight ahead of his scrape and went up a ridge. not shot. well i hunted the area several more days and one morning when i got in my climber it started pouring rain. i thought just my luck. then i saw him again come to his scrape. this time he cut ino the funnel and he locked in on me but just stared and i wouldn't make eye contact and he settled down and started feeding and slowly walking and i drew back and let her fly. well it looked like i got both lungs but i couldn't see so i got down and i couldn't find my arrow and it was pouring. no blood and i turned and there was my arrow buried in a sapling sbout as big as my thumb. i havethoughtabout that buck every day since. i still can't even talk aout the other encounter.

5. The missed opportunity I had was last year on a doe in early archery season...I was sitting in my ladder stand put up the prior season and the tree it is up against is not too conducive to bow hunting but better for gun hunting. There are some big limbs that hindered my draw and the shooting window. Anyway, a doe was working her way out of the woods into the field where I had a doe decoy. I drew once...she stopped...I held...I letoff...she moved...I drew again...I held...she stopped...I letoff...she moved...I tried to draw...I had held so long on the other draws that my arm was shot...I couldn't draw back far enough...It was like my arm was 6" too short...I tried and tried but nothing...of course the whole time I'm trying to draw she's standing at a perfect broadside position....I sure am glad that wasn't a Pope & Young buck.....

6. I was hunting my favorite stand, affectionately nicknamed the sob tree by my uncle because of all the sob stories I had about missed opportunities. (I taught myself to bow hunt in the mid 80's at 15 years of age and learned a lot about deer body language, patterns, etc that I didn't know with my 3 years of gun hunting experience prior to picking up a bow. Unfortunately, I learned them all the hard way.)

Anyway, in the 12 years I bow hunted from that tree I did kill 13 deer, 8 of which were bucks. Because of this, I over hunted the stand and the deer started changing their route by about 40 yards. One year I put up another stand 50 yards from the sob tree and and hunted from it a few times. The third time I hunted the new stand a 130 class 8 pointer walked right under the sob tree and stood broadside at 15 yards. There I sat 50 yards away in my other stand. Talk about over thinking yourself. I see that deer the most in my dreams even though I have seen and killed bigger deer.

If you're listening Crooked Lake 92, that might be very close to your current address. I don't know exactly who you are, but I did have a chat with Bockleman the other day.

7. Scott, maybe we'll run into each other sometime. I haven't seen BOCKO for a while now.......My worst whitetail experience was last year, last day of archery! I was about to get down from my stand, and a doe popped out of the thicket about 75 yards to the south. Three very nice bucks soon followed. Two of the three were shooters, and I mean shooters! The doe walked within ten yards of my stand and started eatin on some clover. The bucks were right behind her. I drew and waited for the 12 pointer (very large 150 plus) to come out ofthe thicket. It would have been a 30 yard shot. I could see his rack and a little of his chest. TWO more steps was all I needed, but NO WAY! NOT FOR ME! All of a sudden I heard a cell phone ring in the woods about 150 yards west of me. Two kids had been scouting (a little late for that) for shotgun and got on my side of the fence...... Long story short BYE BYE BUCK! That hurt....... Bad........

8. I was bowhunting a very steep "backbone" ridge in Orange county probably 4 or 5 years ago in late October or early November. Down either side of this backbone were very large thickets. I was in my stand before daylight and planned to hunt until 11:00 AM, at which time I would get down and meet up with my wife's stepfather for lunch. I saw a few does that morning, but no bucks. At 10:30 AM, I thought, "What the heck, I'm going to try to rattle something up." I grunted and hit the horns for a minute or two, then sat quietly.

It didn't take long for two smaller bucks to show up, one on either side of me. They stared each other down for a while, then walked off. By then, it was time to climb down. I took off my headnet, release, and gloves, then lowered my bow to the ground. I was just getting ready to turn around a start my climber down the tree when a very large P&Y-class buck came up out of the thicket directly in front of me.

He walked straight at me, and passed to my right side within 5 yards of my bow lying on the ground. :eek: As soon as he passed, I pulled the bow up very quickly, put my release on my wrist, and nocked an arrow. By that time, he was 30 yards behind me heading down into the other thicket. I couldn't get a shot at him, and I still think of that scenario every now and then. Thanks for making me agonize over it again. ;)

9. ain't it auwful to have your buddies always help you relive it. lol

10. I HAD AN ELK STANDING 10 FT FROM ME AND DID NOT HAVE MY BOW IN MY HAND AT THE TIME.

I WENT ON A SELF GUIDED BOW HUNT IN COLORADO A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. MY BUDDY AND I HAD HIKED UP TO THE TOP OF A STEEP RIDGE LOOKING FOR AN OPENING THAT WE HAD GLASSED FROM ANOTHER HILL. BEING A FLATLANDER , WE HAD SAT DOWN TO CATCH OUR BREATH AFTER THE CLIMB. AFTER A FEW MINUTES WE DECIDED TO WALK OFF THE TRAIL AND DO SOME GLASSING DOWN THE HILLSIDE. I HAD LEFT MY BOW AND BACKPACK ON THE TRAIL, AND WALKED 25 YARDS AWAY THROUGH THE BRUSH WITH MY BINOC`S.

WHILE STANDING ON THE HILLSIDE GLASSING, WITH OUT WARNING A NICE BULL COMES CHARGING OUT THE BRUSH RIGHT TOWARDS ME. I HAD NOT CALLED OR MADE ANY ATTRACTIVE SOUNDS, HE JUST HAPPENED TO BE GOING WHERE I WAS STANDING. I REALIZED AT THIS TIME THAT I DID NOT HAVE MY BOW AND SQUATTED DOWN BEHIND A BUSH. THE BULL CAME WITHIN 10FT OF ME AND STOPPED, LOOKED AROUND AND TURNED AND WENT BACK WHERE HE CAME FROM. I WAS SO CLOSE , I ALMOST COULD HAVE JUMPED ON HIM.

I NEVER GOT CLOSE ENOUGH THE REST OF THE TRIP FOR ANY SHOT AND WENT HOME EMPTY HANDED. IT STILL HAUNTS ME TODAY, ONLY IF I HAD TAKEN MY BOW WITH ME.

11. You Should Have Pulled Out Your Knife And Jumped On His Back And Stabbed Him In The Neck While Holding On For A Wild Ride.or Maybe Not!

12. Hey Crooked Lake

Hey Crookedlake92

Does the name "Big Bob" make your skin crawl and the hair stand up on the back of your neck? Does it then quickly get replaced with flushed anger and hatred to one of the laziest people on the planet? If so then I know who you are and where you live, and you know where I used to enjoy great whitetail hunting.

13. I hope there isn't a quota on this thread...here's another one from me. I went deer hunting during the firearms season about 10 yrs. ago in Parke County with some buddies that had permission to hunt a "forest" used for a lumber company. Anyway, it was an afternoon hunt after lunch. I found a nice spot to sit on the edge of a corn field...some corn still standing. I got comfortable at the base of a big tree. I don't know for how long but I dozed off to sleep...and yes, you guessed it...when my eyes popped open I saw a rack and the tail end of a whitetail buck heading in the opposite direction of where I was sitting...I can only guess at one time he was within shooting distance but as I watched he went out of gun range...at least out of range for a "hunter" still half asleep!!!

14. well my last encounter bowhunting last yr. and this one really hurts to this day. i saw movement down the ridge i thought it was a doe at 1st. about 100 yrds off. he was coming my way out of a drainage between to ridges. i then saw his rack. a very nice 10. dark and even. he stopped about half way for the longest time browsing and looking then turned to go the other way. i really would have bet i wouldn't have gotten a shot. for no apparent reason he turned and was coming back my way. i was jello by then and he came about 25 yrds of my stand i drew and released and i hit him too far forward and low in the upper front leg. it's very disheartining to cripple a magnifcant animal like that. i searched that afternoon and all the next morning nothing. i am commited this yr. to have more practice in elevated stands and making sure my bow is tuned to perfection. after the shot i took the bow to a pro shop and it was way out of wack. eyeballing just doesn't cutt it when setting up a bow. not for me any way. i hope that buck survived and i think he did. hard lesson learned.

15. November 8, 2005 had set in the stand all day seeing 11 different bucks,to chasing phase was going wild. It got about 1:30 and mother nature called not the kind you can use a bottle for. I lowered my bow took off my release when a little six pnt chased a doe behind me, watch him for about 3 minutes and turned around to see a 160 or 170 class 12pt 30yrds walking right for me. I was able to get my bow up and nock an arrow. Took a shot at him at about 18 yards and shot under him by about a foot. Worse case of buck fever I've ever had in my life. But I guess thats what keeps us all going back for more.:banghead3