Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Water Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish Fishing
Water Fisherman Outdoor recreation Fish Fishing
So, thought for sure we would have good ice, but not so much in Morgan/ Putnam co. 2 inches on first pond We checked then about an inch on the next, went back to the first and started plan B and slid the boats out. 28 bluegills and 1 crappie.

·
Administrator
3,976 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good luck and cold air has come our way.
Went out rabbit hunting this past saturday, on the way home saw 2 ponds in Putnam county with folks ice fishing, didn't think we had any safe ice at that point.
Haven't been able to get out yet, but that should all change tomorrow. Best part, looks like the ice might stick around for a while, not just a couple of days like most years.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Northern lakes are holding good ice. Plenty of anglers out on them.
Yea my son was up near Ft Wayne and saw a lot of folks out. My buddy and I went Friday in Putnam co first two ponds only had a couple of inches. The third had five solid inches we had great action but had to put up with a lot of small bluegills. Did catch a few keeper bluegill and a couple of nice Crappie
Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Tar Motor vehicle

·
Registered
144 Posts
well we had a few more days on the ice. I have caught a lot of bluegill still many small ones. The Croppie on the other hand are giant one was 17 1/2 inches and 2 lbs 14 oz. Two others weighed 2 1/2 pounds.
Hoping the brief warm up doesn’t bring much rain and our ice sticks around
Pollution Road surface Recreation Freezing Winter
Wood Snow Freezing Chair Tree
Water Snow Fish Watercourse Body of water

·
Registered
144 Posts
Massive Crappie. Congrats!
I wish I could take credit for them, but not one came through my holes, my minnows must have smelled bad.

Well it's 43 degrees and a steady rain, ice killing weather, and even if some of the ice hangs on it will most likely get slushy and then with some snow on top to insulate I don't know if the below zero temps will get our ice safe again. Enough with the rain.

·
Registered
144 Posts
was a great ice season upo north here. fished into march. boat time again now.

great pics guys.
In 57 years, I was able to ice fish on March 1st one time, and that was less than 10 years ago. It's a different world in the northern 1/3 of the state, would love to have the season last more than a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw a couple of guys on the bay at Coldwater Lake when I went to Michigan earlier this week, but haven't heard of anyone doing much around NE In. in the last week or so.
I was on open water on that chain yesterday. Ice just came off a few days ago. Spring turnover and most lakes had the water really stirred up.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts