close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why so crappy about crappie????

Discussion in 'Indiana Ice Fishing' started by Dean Weimer, Feb 27, 2007.

1. O.K. This will spark some controversy. It seems we haven't had enough of it lately......

Why is the stigma on crappie so....well, crappy? I ate a batch of fresh ones today and I thought they were pretty damn good. Some folks love them, others consider them "speckled carp". What gives here men?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather eat walleye, perch, 'gill, etc. first, but why don't some folks like crappie? Any crappie haters out there? Any loyal fans, of 'Ol Papermouth?

Don't be a hater!!!!! Quit treating them so...umm crappy!!!!

2. Who caught them for you?

I like Crappies, fine eating fish. My favorite would be walleye, followed by perch and/or 'gills, then crappie. I'm not a bass fan at all, and I'd take the warm water fish mentioned before trout or salmon, but love fishing for trout and salmon as sport.

3. The common name (also spelled croppie or crappé), derives from the Canadian French crapet, which refers to many different fishes of the family Centrarchidae. Note that the plural form of the name, crappies, tends not to be used, by analogy with fishes, except to refer to types of crappie. Other names for crappies are papermouths, calico bass, strawberry bass, white perch, specks, sac-a-lait, and Oswego bass.

Whatever you want to call them - they are a great fish to eat! I agree with Weimer -this fish snobery has to stop!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. I dont get it either. I love to catch 'em and I love to eat 'em. Now for the crappie haters that I know, they always complain about the meat being mushy. Which can be true in the heat of the summer.

5. good fish, good eats, no snobbery here

6. crappie !! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. but i fried some carp i thought was good too.

7. i love catching them, but i'd much rather have some gills. i don't really care for the consistency of them. i'd rather chew my fillets than have them just turn to mush when i take a bite!

8. :yeahthat: I rarely have ever met a fish I didn't like

9. Man Get A Nice Big Slab Fry It Put It On Some Bread Add A Little Tarter Sauce Have A Sandwich

10. I too, am one of the crappie lovers. The only fish I keep through the year, 90% of them I keep through the ice. I just prefer the taste of coldwater fish better than warm water. Either way, they are some fine eats.

11. Walleye, Crappie, and Gills, my favorites to eat in that order. I love to catch Bass, but I don't eat them. I'll take Crappie over gills if I have a choice.........Had some Deer loins and fresh Gills the other night........Love it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  12. Nothing wrong with crappie, except now I know their name is french in origin, that hurts them a little.

Personally, My preference goes, Perch, Gill, Bass, Catfish, Crappie, with not much space between any of em.

13. I'm with Tmarsh....I have my slight preferrence, but as long as they're lighted breaded, with a bit of Tony C's cajun seasoning, and fried to golden brown. I'd eat 'em all in just about any order!

14. Here we go again.............Dean's just trying to stir things up with some highly controversial thread. Yes.........I do like Crappie, however I do think we should come up with a more politicaly correct name for them and get rid of some of the demeaning nicknames associated with them. That might help to remove the negative stigma that has been attached to them and improve their self-esteem. I think Oral Strength Challenged Vertebrate sounds much nicer than Papermouth.

15. I call them speck's