Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

Will you share your thoughts on kayak fishing?

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Joe Rex 
#1 ·
Me and a few of my friends are going up north this weekend and I like to kayak while they like to fish. We found a way to combine the few! Could anyone else share their thoughts on tips for kayak fishing?

#2 ·
Hi bcooper - I was a kayak fisherman for several years. I'm 6'-3" tall and 230# so I was always cramped for space. First I had a 14' sit-in boat and I didn't like it at all. Then I got a very nice 14' Future Beach Angler sit-on-top and I liked it much better but I was always uncomfortable.

Kayaks allow fishermen to get up close and personal in those tiny inviting coves and shallow water (and shade) but I don't think I would ever want another kayak for fishing.

So, if you're tall I would not recommend a kayak for fishing.

#5 ·
It depends on your skill level for steering a kayak/canoe and casting. If your renting get both. A canoe with one to steer and one to fish is much easier when learning especially if your not used to casting out of either. Sounds like none of you have done this type of fishing. Remember....trees belong there lol.

#7 ·
Old town is the best I've found I'm 6' love mine Water Boat Vehicle Watercraft Paddle
I've tried a few but any old town is great a little heavy but they glide thro the water and Durable the whole Family love em I like set in style better but whatever works for you Water Boat Sky Cloud Water resources

Attachments

#10 ·
Keep it simple

I love kayak fishing but I think a lot of people complicate it too much. You don't need a huge tackle bag, 6 rods, a milk crate, rod holders, a motor, an anchor, or a fish finder. All the information I found on the internet about kayak fishing gave me the impression that you had to do a lot of boat rigging and haul a lot of stuff around. You don't.

Here's all you really need: a kayak (doesn't need to be a "fishing kayak"), a paddle (cheap aluminum shaft paddles are perfect), a rod or two, a small tackle box, and a cushion (most kayak seats quickly get very uncomfortable). A PFD is a good idea and I think its required by law to have one within reach. I like to have a knife and pliers. If I'm out long I may bring a small cooler with drinks and sandwiches.

The more stuff you pile in the boat, the more time you will spend tangling lines, knocking stuff overboard, and not fishing.

#11 ·
Thats great advice and I couldn't agree more, but it is a ton of fun to rig a kayak! If you go out a few times, you will begin to learn what you need and don't need. That will keep evolving as you go more and more. Before I rig or bring anything, I always ask myself, "Will it help me catch fish?" Thats the whole point, right!? For me that includes a tackle bag, couple poles rigged for the species I'm after, anchor, and sonar. Obviously a PFD, paddle, and dry box as well.

#12 ·
If I go its normally a weekend trip so I pack for the weekend I take an ultralight and a bait runner use ultralight wile in kayak and bait runner wen I'm set up on bank camping the rest of my gear fits in my pack except for a small tackle bag I strap on top if my yak

#13 ·
I love kayak fishing but I think a lot of people complicate it too much. You don't need a huge tackle bag, 6 rods, a milk crate, rod holders, a motor, an anchor, or a fish finder. All the information I found on the internet about kayak fishing gave me the impression that you had to do a lot of boat rigging and haul a lot of stuff around. You don't.

Here's all you really need: a kayak (doesn't need to be a "fishing kayak"), a paddle (cheap aluminum shaft paddles are perfect), a rod or two, a small tackle box, and a cushion (most kayak seats quickly get very uncomfortable). A PFD is a good idea and I think its required by law to have one within reach. I like to have a knife and pliers. If I'm out long I may bring a small cooler with drinks and sandwiches.

The more stuff you pile in the boat, the more time you will spend tangling lines, knocking stuff overboard, and not fishing.
I like the way you keep it simple. Seems like too often we keep complicating things whether it be hunting or fishing activities to the point where they are no longer fun.

#14 ·
I like the way you keep it simple. Seems like too often we keep complicating things whether it be hunting or fishing activities to the point where they are no longer fun.
Exactly, I personally have been trying to keep things simple and more traditional. No more tree climbers, no expensive camo. I have been using a single shot shotgun instead of my 11-87. I'm going to start keeping my canoe fishing trips simple as well. Way too much equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

#17 · (Edited)
Some new fishing kayaks are a lot more suited all around to fishing than many of the old ones which were really just plain old kayaks named "fishing kayaks". My Pelican Catch Pwr 100 is already rigged up for a trolling motor -I like to troll and would rather fish than paddle. It has a battery box and already pre wired for the motor, just attach the included trolling motor plug to your trolling motor and plug it in and its ready to go. The back has a mount for trolling motor or 2.5hp gas motor. Its pretty small, only 9'8" so if you are over 6' tall it probably isn't for you. I'm 5'10" and it fits me fine. Had it for a month and fished it a dozen times already on the pond. Waiting for my registration stickers before fishing on public waters. Its very stable for a kayak, but I will still stick to relatively small lakes when the wind is pretty calm. This is no bass boat that you can stand up right at the edge without it tipping over. Still its ideal for the thousands of small lakes that are so small with unimproved boat launches that are a pain to use a bass boat at.

I still keep things simple still in any kayak. Only one large tacklebox, a stringer, two x 6' or under fishing rods, and something to snack and drink! That's all I need for a few hours serious fishing. I didn't do any fancy rigging but I did run my fish finder transducer part way inside the hull, because I didn't want 15 ft of transducer wires on the deck! A small cart to wheel the yak around the boat launch too, I almost forgot. To hold them secure you want 2 straps forward and 2 to the rear, for most of the yak "dollys" I've seen.

Attachments

#19 ·
I thought it was too long and hard to run the fish finder battery wires inside the hull but tried and was just barely able to string some 10# fishing line thru holes that I connected inside using an unwound wire coat hander that the fishing line was taped to the end. Then used the fishing line to pull the fish finder battery wires into and thru the hull. This picture shows my 55ah battery too. I did have to fill in an extra hole or two using silicone but its now got relatively clean "rigging".

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.