close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Willow Slough closed. Fisherman dead

Discussion in 'Indiana Ice Fishing' started by sam, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Two friends were out together today. They were in the willows in front of the headquarters about 200 yds. out and went through. They were in the water a couple minutes, at least. I heard them yelling and started running-walking as fast as I could to help. I was at the "Y" of the slot and the Rookery channel, a little to the north .By the time I got to them two other young guys went through trying to get them out. We got everyone out, and one of the older guys was so exhausted he couldn't get up off the ice.We helped him up, and got him out of his coveralls which know weighed at least 25-30 lbs. They sat there and got their wind back and warmed up some . They both said they were O.K.and could walk back in on their own. By the time I got back to my gear I could hear the sirens coming ,one of the guys called 911 when we were standing there. When I got in , about an hour later they said the one guy wasn't doing too well. He wasn't breathing on his own. I think his buddy said he had a heart condition.

This angler did die. DNR has shut down Willow Slough to all ice fishing !!!

2. Hate to hear these things. My prayers go out to his family.

3. Sounds like a bad situation - we all appreciate you guys being willing to risk yourselves to help someone else. Truly wise folks know that life is not just about ourselves. thanks

4. very sorry to hear this we need to be thankful for people like you to risk your life
    pray for this mans family

5. Prayers to his family and friends. Words of caution to all of us. This is a bad time of year for those of us who ply the ice. Things aren't always what they seem.

"Let's be careful out there..."

6. Man, I am sorry to hear that. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

If you haven't already been using them get a set of picks and keep them on you!

7. I too am very sorry that this happened... and always am. But come on guys... you should know better than that. I was just talking today with a fireman and he said he is just waiting on the calls to start racking up like always. Be safe all.... the fish arent worth it!! I know accidents do happen and a lot of you on here are serious fisherman... just be careful from here on out if you think you HAVE to go.