close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windbreak suggestions?

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by dirtyq, Nov 26, 2006.

1. I am wanting to provide cover/windbreak protecting a foodplot from roadside visibility to ensure no poaching and provide a winter windbreak. I need something fast growing that is dense throughout the year. I would like to use something like they sometimes line the interstate with but I'm unsure of this species. Any help on tree or shrub species is appreciated. Thanks

2. Austrian pine are pretty fast growers...and man, do they get dense! Those are the trees I would suggest.

3. seabee

seabee Staff Member Super Mod Mod

White pine is also a very fast grower, but it also depends on your soil type. I have found that white and austrian pines grow best in sandy to loamy soils. I planted some of these in wet soils and they are being outgrown by my norway spuces. If you are very serious about it, Pm Scott Werstler, i talked briefly with him about this last year and he seems to know WAY more about this then i do, i have reforested a couple of my small propertys. Some of the deciduos trees i like are the black locust and sawtooth oaks, as for bushes redtwig dogwoods, bristley locusts and american plum provide great habitat, just remember nothing will give you instant cover, it will take a few years with whatever you plant....good luck

4. If it's damp river birch work great also. They grow quickly and fatten out nicely. Locusts, poplars, and about any pine will help with density.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2006
  5. Hey dirty Q,

I think a combination of a couple things could give you good quick cover and long term cover as well. Plant about 15 rows of corn on on the edge of you food plot and on the outside toward the road plant a quick growing tree like a poplar or black willow. You can also make a thick wall of cover with arborvitae ( Northern white cedar). Just make sure if you get it from a nursery you stay away from dwarf species. Plant your trees in staggered rows to optimize growin space and coverage. You could also plant a warm season grass like Big Blue stem, switchgrass or indian grass between the corn and tree line to provide a 4-6 ft wall of cover. Warm season grasses require a cold period in order to germinate and after a couple years will fill in. The corn provides quick cover to allow the WSG to fill in then the WSG gives cover while your tree line is becoming established.

Ed

6. Thanks for the help. Ed, If I plant the grasses could they possibly take over all other vegetation in the area and even spread into the foodplot. Thanks, Dirtyq

7. The native grasses are slow to spread but they can so keeping a buffer around you planting that is tilled and sprayed with round up will keep it where you want it. They take a year or two for establishment by seed and the grass itself propagates vegetatively through rhizomes adding to the clump of grass yearly which makes it easy to contain. Couple times a year is all that is needed and it will give you an area to plant some annual food plot crops. Landscapers use these grasses because they add height to a landscaping and stay in a clump.

Ed