close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

X-Scent vs Scent Lok

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by DocB, Jul 26, 2006.

1. I just finished reading a review of scent control technology. Basically biologist and environmentalist Michael Corrigan suggests, to put it lightly, that activated carbon clothing such as Scent Lok is a complete waste. His review of X-scent, where the silver is impregnated into the clothe fibers, was overwhelming positive. He says the military just ordered 5 million pairs of socks with that technology because it actually kills the microbes that cause athletes foot and such. Now I don't know if he is somehow paid by the x-scent people but when he explained how the activated carbon doesn't work it made sense. I've read elsewhere too that you need extreme, more than a dryer, heat to get the carbon molecules to dump the scent they pick up. The silver however actually kills bacteria and doesn't need activated. He said he actually wore a pair of the socks for a week and at the end of the week they didn't stink at all. I found the review, and I think there are several different reviews by the same guy, on fastestbows.com. Tell me what you guys think. I do have some of the long underwear with the silver in it. I bought it because it was cheap. And I wore it under my Scent Lok suit that I bought last year. I did see more deer last year than ever before. I had many directly under my stand and only a few all year that blew at me. So was it the underwear or the Scent Lok? If I didn't have Scent Lok already and I read that article I would probably not buy it.

2. I HAD READ THE SAME ARTICLE STATING THAT A CLOTHES DRYER DID NOT GET HOT ENOUGH TO CLEANSE THE CARBON PARTICLES OF THEIR COLLECTED MOLECULES, I WAS UNABLE TO DECIDE IF IT WAS REAL OR BULL. WHOSE PAYROLL WAS THE AUTHOR ON?

I HAVE TWO SETS OF SENT LOCK CLOTHES, CALL ME A SUCKER. HONESTLY I CANNOT TELL IF THEY HELP OR NOT. I HAVE BEEN BUSTED SEVERAL TIMES WHILE WEARING THE GARMENTS. I`M BEGINNING TO BELIEVE THAT SCENT LOCK IS ALOT OF HYPE. I WILL NOT SPEND MY HARD EARNED MONEY AGAIN ON THEIR GARMENTS. BEST PRACTICE IS GOOD PERSONAL HYGENE AND HUNT THE WIND.

3. I use Scent-Loc clothing and love it. I have had does in front of me within 3 yards of me on the ground and the wind at my back and they did not know I was there. Last year there was 17 does and two bucks all around me (yes I was on the ground) and they still did not know I was there. Scent-Loc for me any time

4. I to use scent lok and love it. I've seen a huge increase in deer sightings since I've been using it, but in addition I also shower in scent killer shampoo(whether I'm hunting that day or not),chew gum-o0flage and spray librally myself and all equipment before heading to stand.I know people that wear scent control clothing that don't take the time to make sure the outside is kept scent free nor do they cover their hands and face or do anything for the breath. Remember one tiny mistake with scent control whether your wearing scent lok or x-scent makes everything you've done right meaningless.:bouncy:

5. For legal reasons, I'm staying out of this one. Let me just say that on another forum myself and a big wig at the big name carbon suit companies got into it. Seems he did not like an engineer with carbon adsorption/regeneration experience chiming in on his company's technology. I was advised in private conversations to with this individual that I needed to back down or there would be consequences. Needless to say, it is not worth my time arguing the point any further. Lets just say that their technology defies the laws of physics.:bowdown:

I feel that any product that you as a hunter believe in will make you a better hunter to a degree. Does carbon in suits work? I'll let you answer that for yourself. Personally, my money is not going to the carbon suit industry.

As for the microbial suits, I have no experience with them or the technology so I'll leave that debate up to the experts.

6. I had a whole paragraph ready and accidentally erased it, but what buckhunter just said sums it up in a nutshell. The whole "Forget the wind, just hunt"?...well, I don't think any of us buy that 100%. Deer will always smell something, but using scent lok, x scent, etc. and keeping clean will go a long ways to help eliminate getting busted so much.

7. Pure Luck?

I've had good luck with the scent lok suits. (very expensive though, and I'm not fond of the camo pattern) I wear it under a light weight Natural Gear overall.
    I've also had good luck with the cheapy chem suits available from military surplus suppliers. The cheapies leave more carbon residue in the cloths dryer (wife doesn't like that much) but the camo pattern is much better.
    I still don't substitute the suits for washing well, using a earth scent cover and paying attention to the wind for which stand I plan to hunt on a given day.

I've had enough deer down wind of me, that never knew I was there, if it's pure hype or luck??? Not sure, but I'll opt for any advantage I can get. It may well be just a feeling of added confidence. As a side note, I do think they are a bit more hassle some days, so I often hunt without them, wasn't using them on either of the days I took two does last year. But days when the wind is goofey, I guess they make me feel like I'm doing all I can do to up my odds.

8. To each his own, wear it or dont wear it. Your scent lok preparation starts way before you ener the field. As for me, I use scent-lok and have had good results.

9. I have a suit also and do not use it. I work in an machine shop (biomet) and coolant fills the air, I have used it and not used it I see just as many deer as without it and just as close, and yes I do use a cover (earth scent) but anyway didn't make really any differance in the deer i seen.

10. Use natural cover scents, use the wind to your advantage, forget the high dollar carbon suits - it's a marketing gimmick and a waste of your hard earned money. The wind is your greatest ally, or enemy, dependent on how you use it.

11. what about the elemitrax boots do they work or is that a gimmic?

12. dunno...not familiar with them.

13. elimitrax works

My buddy and I starting wearing the elimitrax after the mature bucks in our area were patterning the scent of our rubber boots (no matter what we sprayed them down with). Rubber stinks. Best $100 bucks we ever spent, deer have no clue where we have walked in and out, now. If you REALLY think about it, this is a big part of getting a mature buck, by keeping him from knowing he is being hunted. I wear underarmor and scentlock also, and dead down wind spray.

Eric

14. thanks!! i just bought a set of underarmor last week at pro bass. i've seen dead down wind on shows but haven't seen it in stores yet. is it an online order? i'm thinkin of gettin some elimitrax soon. not sure about the scent lock yet.

15. advice

The elimitrax will be your best investment, overall. But you'll love that under armour, it is just the chit. I do without the scentlok, somedays, especially when I intend to sweat alot (uses up the carbon). Just use cover scents then. But scentlok works, it is a proven technology, just fart in it and see what you smell, nothing.

Eric