Indiana Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a kayak for a few years. I'm almost certain that I want a sit on top. I've been looking at the future beach angler 144. $375 at dunhams I really want the Jackson Cuda 12. $1200 online. I'm not spending that much on my first yak, and will probably get the cheaper one to see how I like it. I'll be using it in smaller lakes and partially navigable streams around central Indiana. Any other kayak fisherman on here ?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
109 Posts
Me and my dad are getting some sit on tops. We are looking at Ascend sit on tops because they are reasonably priced, you can stand in them and fit them in the back of truck. We plan mostly to use them on eagle creek reservoir.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah.. They are not to close. Where are you located at? If you live in central Indiana its about two hours to the Clarksville store, which is HUGE!!! I always make a haul down to that area about once a year to visit the BassPro and Cabela's superstores near Louisville.
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 521)

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's awesome Indy! Great videos.
I just got the Angler 144 and can't wait to get some slime on her. Any suggestions on modifications that made yours better for fishing??

Milk crate. Add some PVC for Rod holders. It will carry all the gear you'll ever need.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yup, milk crate and pvc pipe to hold rods. I sit on one of the throw-able life preservers to save my poor butt from aching as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had mine out on the local reservoir a few times, and LOVE it. It's nice to slide past the big boats at the ramp and be fishing while they are still unloading. I haven't got in the river yet, but I'm sure it will do fine for that.
The 2 things I think I'd like to add now are an anchor system, or something to slow my drift. So I can stay on targets a little longer when it's windy.
The other is a good way to have my rods horizontal and ready to cast sooner, without being in the way. I'd like to borrow Jackson Kayaks design on the rod tip protector. That looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
google kayak anchor trolley and watch how they work and how to install.

This is an amazing concept for anchoring a kayak to fish, expecially with wind.

·
Administrator
3,965 Posts
Cool videos from the Yak. Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kayak shop

What's up fellas? My name is Josh Chrenko, and my brother and I will be opening up a shop dedicated to kayak fishing in Greenwood next March called YakBros. If you are thinking about getting a fishing kayak, give me a shout before you make a decision. I have been kayak fishing in lakes and rivers all over Indiana and the country for years. I can tell you from first hand experience to not run out and get a boat based on internet research. Depending on what type of fishing you do and where you do it, each boat will have it's pros/cons. Coming from someone who has owned and fished out of about every kind of kayak available, it's best to demo paddle before you buy. You will find out more in a days worth of fishing that you could spending a month researching online. Our shop will be dedicated to getting guys in the right boat and outfitting it to your specifications at a fair price. As of right now, we will be carrying the full line of Wilderness systems fishing kayaks along with a brand called Feelfree, which make really sweet boats. I will put a new thread up about the shop with details, but we are also going to be putting on a kayak tournament series starting next spring as well. We plan on letting guys demo our outfitted kayaks during the tournament. We will be getting inventory this winter, so we can even look at selling you a boat before we are officially open. Anyways, I would love to talk to any of you guys if you have questions. Call me at 317.514.0861 or email me at [email protected]. In the meantime, check out this video of the Feelfree Lure 11.5. It is one sweet kayak!

·
Registered
109 Posts
google kayak anchor trolley and watch how they work and how to install.

This is an amazing concept for anchoring a kayak to fish, expecially with wind.
Are those expensive to make?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Chris, I'll probably be looking to upgrade come spring time. I have thoroughly loved my first season out of a kayak. If you guys get Facebook and all that set up, let us know. I'm all about supporting small business and used to live up in the Southport/Greenwood area before moving down south for work.

I'll be looking forward to checking out your yaks, that Feelfree Lure looks exactly like what I'll be looking for.

I used to fish a lot of bass tournaments when I was younger, but got out of it when my kids got old enough to fish.

I still love fishing and just started yak fishing this year. Had a blast catching them and started filming to start promoting the sport.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts