Indiana Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just got back from fishing in the backwater in Tampa Bay Florida near Anna Maria Island in a Kayak .I'm totally hooked on fishing from them now. What a great time that was. Here's a Pic of some Red Fish I got into.

·
Administrator
3,967 Posts
I just got back from fishing in the backwater in Tampa Bay Florida near Anna Maria Island in a Kayak .I'm totally hooked on fishing from them now. What a great time that was. Here's a Pic of some Red Fish I got into.
Nice catch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got a pelican catch pwr 100 1 man Yak, rigged up for a trolling motor already. It has recess for fish finder transducer too. I ran the transducer wires part way inside the hall because I didn't want 15 ft. of wire on the deck. Tested it on the pond the other day. Handles nice and fast with a small trolling motor and 50amp hr battery. I want a yak for fishing not paddling! Ha.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I been "rigging" my Pelican Catch pwr 100 while waiting for the registration. Also done some fishing with it in the farm pond. It really moves with a 36# yak trolling motor. Some people use 55# and those go twice as fast but this is ok for me. I don't fish in real big lakes, most lakes around my place are pretty small except Lake Wawasse or however its spelled. My rigging isn't prefect but it gets the fish finder and other wires out of the way which is what I want. I only use a 50ah battery, that's plenty for several hours fishing. Can always get a bigger 75ah or so battery later if I want to do nonstop trolling all day. The 50ah AGM battery uses just over half the battery box room so I can store other stuff in the box too.

Check out the Anchor Wizard if you like panfishing like me, its a must. I'm thinking of reinforcing it with an extra side brace for heavier anchors. Right now I'm using a 5# anchor which probably wouldn't hold in much wind.

I flush mounted the garmin standard transducer thru the floor (able to keep the portable for ice fishing) using some kind of 2" to 1.5" plastic pipe test fitting I got from ace hardware that looked like it would fit, and it did -for both mounting the transducer (with a single hole/bolt) and putting the top thru the hull and capping with a threaded fitting. Then I put some rubber floor mat over the transducer pipe and wires so I don't trip over the wires and to give some cushion if I do step on them. The bottom of the transducer is just an inch above the bottom of the boat, it doesn't stick down below where it could catch on things.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here' a picture of my Pelican Catch pwr100 about ready to go fishing. I love it. Cost about $1000 from Bass Pro. I did some minor extra "rigging" on it. Unlike other so called "fishing kayaks" this one only requires minor rigging to suit your preferences. Its only 9'8" long so if you're over 6' tall you may find it too cramped. No, if you use three or four small tackleboxes instead of one large one, keep your gear to the minimum, and rig it cleanly then almost all the room but the battery box is usable and the seat has a large adjustment range-so it could be usable for even 7' tall guys. Its also about 8" wider than most all 12' (non fishing) kayaks. Its 39.75" wide. Even some fishing kayaks are scary skinny (and unstable). The Pwr100 is almost too wide to be called a kayak. The hull is shaped more like a bass boat than any kayak or canoe I've ever seen. I have an Ascend 10t at 30" wide for fishing at the pond full time and its significantly less stable than my Pelican Catch Pwr 100. The Pwr 100 feels like a normal fishing boat not "tippy" like a kayak. You still don't want to lean way over the side but you don't have to be paranoid about it.

You could even stretch your legs out completely if you are over 7'0" tall if you remove the quite a bit overlarge (better than too small) battery box cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went and braced my anchor wizard (I panfish a lot) so I could use a 10# or so anchor in heavier winds, although I prefer not to fish when its too windy. I was just using a 5# anchor for pond fishing while waiting for the lake action to heat up and for my registration stickers to come in. On lakes with much wind a 5# anchor probably wouldn't do a lot of good. I ordered an 8# anchor, that should be good for most cases. And I don't think the fire extinguisher is required for just an electric trolling motor but I will probably keep it because its small.

Got the registration stickers and hull registration numbers on. Also wired it up with full boat lighting because its powered and I often fish after dark. I even have a (led) lantern holder that mounts to one of the rails on either side. Because for crappie especially you want a lot of light to attract minnows, and bluegill are deep enough night fishing that you can have bright enough light to see easy for even tying hooks on. Trout don't mind light either. For bass and walleye casting (shallows) I turn down the lantern to just enough light to see by.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a picture of my Pelican Catch 100 pwr kayak with lighting rigged up. The rear (stern) light folds down (either back or forward) when not in use. The thing about kayaks, there isn't much room to put the registration numbers if you want to use a motor. To run the rear light wires inside the hull from the back to the battery box in front I straightened 3 wire coat hangers and twisted them together and then used that to run a fishing line up to pull the wires thru. The front storage compartment you can remove the "bag" to directly access the inside of the hull with your hands to make wiring to the battery box a lot easier.

I wired the lights in parallel because they were both rated for 12v and that's what my battery is 12v 50amp hour. The battery is a Mighty Max (Minn Kota -compatible) AGM, it weighs 30# but a lot cheaper than lithium. And my kayak has 450# capacity. The AGM weighs twice as much as lithium but cost 1/4 the amount.

I think my yak is ready to go fishing, just need some good weather now...I always keep an adjustable length canoe paddle in my boats in case my battery ever goes dead or something breaks on the trolling motor ( I carry a spare prop, a few shear pins, and vice grips in the storage compartment). I want to have my yak prepared so if something happens on the water, I'm not caught up schitt creek without a paddle literally.

I didn't realize my registration numbers were too high until I looked at this picture. I went back and lowered them (centered vertically instead of near top). The decals claim to be able to be reapplied multiple times, so I hope that's true. They seemed to still stick on good.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts