close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Youth Hunt This Weekend

Discussion in 'Indiana Whitetail Hunting' started by BRICH60, Sep 20, 2006.

1. IS ANYBODY PLANNING TO TAKE THEIR KIDS OUT THIS WEEKEND FOR THE YOUTH DEER HUNT?IF SO, WHAT WEAPON DOES YOUR CHILD PLAN ON USING? I LIKE THE IDEA OF A SPECIAL YOUTH HUNT DATE, I JUST FEEL THAT BY HAVING THE HUNT AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, WITH ALL THE FOILAGE, THAT IT IS GOING TO BE HARD FOR ALOT OF KIDS TO SEE THE DEER. I THINK THEY SHOULD CONSIDER MOVING IT BACK TOWARDS THE END OF OCTOBER WHEN SOME OF THE FOILAGE HAS FALLEN.

2. afriend of mine is takling his 8 year old out,I saw them at Bass Pro Shop going in to the Hunter safety course.

3. I'll be takin my little brother. i'm going to use the fawn in distress call and hopefully call in a doe close enough for him to tag her with his bow.;)

4. Yep!

We have 4 father & child teams so far....it'll be a blast!!!!

The Minnehaha office has a special programs for the kids this weekend also

5. 9 youths

I have 9 youth hunters coming to my place to deer hunt, I have met one father and son of that group. I'll be totally honest(as usual), the structure and timing of this hunt made it atractive to members of Cedar Branch Farms inc.

We are able to supply over 1000 acres to youth hunters at a time none of the members are able to hunt deer. We are able to open the property to youth knowing that our deer management plan for the property is secure.

We as owners and members of Cedar Branch Farms inc. have spent the past three weekends and many dollars preparing the property and supplying our house to accomodate these young hunters.

I have a neighbor who opened his property to seven youths...........

This season and time frame has worked, the bag limit has worked........

Ask gun shop owners about their sales..........IDNR has

Youth license sales are at a record pace............

IDNR and the people involved hit one out of the park!

6. Taking my 7 year old daughter out this weekend. She'll be hunting with a muzzleloader out of a ground blind. She was out shooting it last night. Let me tell you, she killed a lot of balloons at 40 yards last night. I pitty the first doe that come in range.:biggrin:

Hopefully the weather won't be as bad as they are predicting.

7. Best of luck to her and YOU this weekend DEC. I've loved reading your recent posts and seeing the resent pics of the family afield. My 6 year old son is ecstatic because his new camo bibs should be coming in the mail yet this week.

Hope to hear a great success story from you after the weekend!

8. Taking My Son Out On The Morning Hunts, And Taking My Nephew Out On The Afternoon Hunts Going To Be Filming Them Both, My Son Has Chosen To Use His Bow(thats My Boy), My Nephew Is Using His Muzzleloader, He Has Never Taken A Deer Yet Hope To Get His First One On Film Now Thats Priceless!!!!!! Good Luck To All The Kids

9. Thanks for the complements jstalljon. Don't worry, there will be pictures. Deer or not, it will be a success.

I took her last night to buy her first ever hunting license. You should have seen the smile on her face when she was at the counter handing the lady her hunter safety card. She is pumped up. She was so wired last night that she could hardly sleep ... and there are two nights yet to go.

This is one of the best things ever for the kids, IMO. I agree with Joe's post ... IDNR hit a home run on this one.

10. Took my 9 year old daughter out last night to shoot her .410. She had a little apprehension in shooting it, even though she has shot it before. She shot twice and nailed the targets both times dead on. After that she was ready to go home, didn't want to shoot anymore. I felt like I was forcing her to take the 2 shots she did take. I told her lets go home, this is supposed to be a fun activity and I didn't want to force her into it if she didn't want to. We had planned to go to Wally to get her license etc. afterwards but went home instead. I told her to think about it last night and today and let me know this evening if this was really something she wanted to do this weekend. I sincerely hope she tells me tonight that she wants to go...but if not that's OK too...I don't want to push her into anymore than I push her to participate in sports. I present the opportunities and spend time talking about it and getting them involved. Ultimately it is their decision.

11. Treehugger you did the right thing.

Last night I took along the .22 barrel as well as the muzzleloader barrel. She'd shot a .22 before and we spent a bunch of time shooting her's last night. She had a blast. Before last night she'd never shot the muzzleloader. I shot it first so she could see it, then I loaded it up for her. Dumb azz me, did not pay attention to the butt placement on her shoulder and on the first shot it nailed her pretty good. She was not happy about it (I saw tears in the corners of her eyes:( ), but I convinced her that it was my fault and to try it again. So we snapped a couple caps just to gain confidence before we put a live load in the gun. The next real shot I paid better attention to her form and helped brace the forestock of the gun. After that shot, she was smiling again. Before long she was shouldering it properly herself and I did not help in any way outside of coaching. After 8 or 9 shots we went back to the .22 for some plinking fun. We went through almost an entire bag of ballons (she liked popping them better than punching holes in paper).

Big guns (a .410 or smoke pole is a big gun to a kid) are intimidating. Their poor shoulders can't take the pounding ours do. You did the right thing in calling it quits. Hunting and shooting should be on their terms, not ours. Good call and good luck this weekend!

12. DEC and Tree................excellent choices with the kids. They love you more in the end for the things you let them decide vs what you force them to decide...... when it comes to fun things in life of course.;)

Excellent Dad Example Ribbons to both of you.....:coolgleam

13. I concur. Nice job, fellas. Hope everything is safe and successful for you and yours this weekend.

14. I talked to my daughter this afternoon...she said she wants to hunt this weekend!!! Looks like a trip to Wally is in order this evening.

15. ya know what guys...........

this is the group this weekend.... north:grouphug: central:grouphug: south:grouphug: !!! We are all in the same boat teaching a younger generation what we love!

Good luck to all who participate........

Joe Bacon

President IDHA